PDA

View Full Version : Tag Axles

RayChez1
11-10-2007, 11:29 AM
Why doesn't Gulfstream use tag axles on their longer coaches. Most motorhomes over 40 foot use a tag axle. The Scenic Cruiser was almost 42 foot long and it still had a single axle. I sure would like to see Gulfstream use a tag, even on their forty foot. I believe Freightliner now manufacturers a chassis with a tag. What do you guys think of the idea of adding a tag?

coolchas11
11-10-2007, 10:40 PM
Tag axles are being put back into the GS line. Saw them on our recent tour. Charlie

RayChez1
11-10-2007, 11:55 PM
What coaches are they building now with tag axles? I am very interested on my next coach to have a tag axle, if we decide to go over forty feet.

Beaufort NC
11-11-2007, 08:42 AM
I am wondering why you want a tag? Stability?

GStream40
11-11-2007, 08:56 AM
Tag axles are needed if the weight is there that requires a tag axle, but there are also a lot of negatives to having a tag axle.

You loose storage space due to the tag axle taking up the sides where storage compartments would be.

Two more tires to maintain and pay for at replacement time.

Two more sets of brakes to maintain, of course you would also have more stopping power.

More suspension components to wear and maintain.

The weights of the GS coaches built without tag axles did not require a tag for the weight as our coach which is 41' long. I am not sure I would ever want a coach with a tag if it was not needed for the weight. We don't have any handling problems and it tracks terrific.

Maybe you could enlighten us on "Why" you think a tag axle is so much needed and the advantages of having it other than it looks "cool" and more like a bus?

Ron

RayChez1
11-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Right now we still have two houses. One in California and one in Miami. If we decide to go full time I want at least a 42 foot or longer coach. You need plenty of carry capacity and the tag will give you that plus stability. Also once a coach gets over forty feet long you need a tag for stability with cross winds. I realize that you loose some compartment space, but to me stability is a very important factor. I had bought a gasoline coach before I bought the Scenic Cruiser and it was 36' foot long. I only put 5,000 miles on it and I traded in because with was a nightmare with cross winds.

Beaufort NC
11-11-2007, 01:46 PM
The reason I asked is that prior to my Crescendo, we had a 36 foot Holiday Rambler with a tag. The Crescendo without the tag has far superior handling characteristics (Workhorse chassis). What with the negatives cited above by GStream 40, some of which we also experienced, I personally would not want another tag, except if necessary for weight.
BTW, we crossed the Utah desert last summer in a nasty thunderstorm, and while it required attention, at no time did we feel that we didn't have full control of the coach. The Workhorse tracks very well.

RayChez1
11-11-2007, 05:07 PM
Tag axles are being put back into the GS line. Saw them on our recent tour. Charlie

So while you were on the tour and you saw Gulfstream installing tag axles to some coaches. Did you by any chance find out what coaches will be coming out with the tag axles.

coolchas11
11-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Tour Masters, but I'm not sure of length.

coolchas11
11-19-2007, 06:57 AM
The GS web site has an article about the tag axle...45' Tour Master.

djqualls
11-19-2007, 11:01 PM
Without a Tag Axle, the lookers will definately know that you aren't Merle Haggard on Tour............ :lol: