PDA

View Full Version : Internet Access/Satelite TV

TheHansens
02-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Here at home we enjoy dishnetwork for our tv and Embarq for our ISP and phone service. We plan on spending a lot of time on the road and will be installing satelite on the RV and taking along one of our receivers. Can we get internet access this way also? by signing up with dishnetwork for our ISP instead of Embarq?

rdlamb
02-08-2008, 08:57 PM
We have a King Dome in Motion satellite system. Apparently, direct no longer supports the King Dome system. So we reverted back to Dish TV, and are doing well with their HD service. Direct is out, Dish is in, for us.
Safe Travels
Rick

mfa
02-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Here is a good summary (http://www.rvforum.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28&Itemid=41) of Internet access options while RVing.

Curt Krueger
02-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Direct is out, Dish is in? Where did that come from? When did Directv decide to stop supporting King Dome?

Curt

Arthur Hayes
02-09-2008, 07:31 PM
I have a King Dome and I am watching Direct TV this very moment. No problems here.

rdlamb
02-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Hi Art:

My last post seems crude. Must have been using a rented brain, while mine was in the shop.

My King Dome is just over a year old, but I cannot get Direct's HD channels because Direct's new satellite emits a Ka band , which the King Dome cannot receive. Ergo, through Direct I could not receive any HD channels. Talking to Direct, I probably could continue with them another year, but Direct is moving everything to HD, and service is otherwise limited.

Also, I called King Dome, and found out that they had no plans to upgrade their system to receive Direct's HD channels.

However, King Dome offers an update to receive Dish's HD channels. I paid for the update ($250), that programmed the King Dome's computer box to receive Dish HD channels on the 67.5 satellite.

I would be careful to check out whether the satellite system you are considering actually will function with the new satellites, since HD is all the rage.

Safe travels
Rick

trickto322
02-13-2008, 08:14 PM
As far as internet, we have hughes and also have a receiver with that dish. This is really good for us. It is fast and have been able to get a signal no matter where we have been. There are some systems that mount right on top of the rig. We didn't get that for 2 reasons: price and being mobil allows you to move around a tree. There is a learning curve on the set up but nothing you can't get.
Good Luck