PDA

View Full Version : power gear jacks

Jim
05-20-2008, 05:30 PM
we had the touch pad on the dash go out on our 8360 Independence. We were told that they came out with an upgraded touch pad, we are on our second touch pad the life of these pads has been about 4 months. We ordered the last pad over night UPS and that was on a tuesday, it came in on fri. they didn't tell us which night. we would like to know if anyone else has had this problem?

11B
05-21-2008, 12:37 PM
We had the same problem with our 07 Friendship and the pad, it went bad after about 5 month's then was replaced with the up-graded one. So far so good but make sure you check your oil level from time to time.

gbarngrover
06-27-2008, 07:06 AM
Had the same problem with touch pad 2 times. Now the second touch pad is bad all lites blinking. I have talked to power gear but they said nothing about a upgraded replacement only that they know there is a problem.
What is part number of replacement?

chamberlain
06-27-2008, 10:10 AM
So have you had the touch pad go out when the jacks were down.... and if so what did you do to get them retracted

Jim
06-27-2008, 09:32 PM
I am at the back home rally, Power gear rep Andy Wolf and Gelfstream Elect eng Kenny Wordon both gave me a big song and dance this is the latest up grade. Also tryed to tell me I am the only one that has had this problem. Also I check all the new units on display and all of them with manual jacks had blown Jack control pads. So if they think I will believe this they must be brain dead. the number on the frount of the pad is 140-1179 and the up grade has the new numder on the back 10583E They say if it does not have the E on the back it is not the upgrade. This is the Manual jacks not the auto jacks. Also when they go out they will have all the lights blinking and retract. Also I now have my jack pad # 6 in.

Arthur Hayes
06-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Last August I had the same problem with my Power Gear Jacks. The panel lights would blink and the only way to re track the jacks was to release the parking brake. Power Gear sent another panel and so far I have not had any problems.

Jim
06-29-2008, 07:25 PM
they didn't tell you it was a Gulfstream wireing problem.

gbarngrover
07-01-2008, 02:18 PM
I just had mine replaced about 2 weeks ago for the second time, it lasted about a week. The number on back of pad is 10583D. It went out while jacks were down but they retracted as soon as the touch pad was truned on. I can reset mine by pressing the F & R together on the touch pad one time, all lites go out except the power lite, then press LR (3) times and pad will go blank, press the on off button and it works until I turn off the ignition. every time I turn the ignition on the pad blinks. I connected mine so it has power on it all the time and now I have no problem. I am leaving it kike this until they figure it out but this has been going on almost 2 years?
From what I know the Mfg of the PAD says they can't dublicate the problem and say the pad is wired up wrong.

Jim
07-01-2008, 06:16 PM
call them and tell them you want a pad with an E on the back and see how that works. They keep telling me it is Gulfstream wireing problem.

MLynch
07-02-2008, 08:19 PM
I had a similar issue. The pad at the dash lit up like a Christmas tree and our jacks would not work in auto mode. An authorized service center checked things out and replaced a motor on one of the Power Gear jacks. After making the "repair," the pad still remained lit. The tech didn't know what to do and gave up on the repair, telling me that I needed a new pad.

During our recent RV trip, we made a pit stop at the Gulfstream factory and had them call a rep from Power Gear to our rig to address the problem. It took the technician a while to figure things out, but he did. The sensors on the Power Gear jacks have magnets adjacent to them. When things are installed correctly, the magnet repels (like when you hold two magnets together). In my case, one of the magnets adjacent to a sensor was installed backwards and actually magnetically attracted to the sensor.

The technicial told me that he had only seen this happen a couple of times before.

Maybe this might be the issue for those who still have problems after replacing the pad?

Good luck,
Mike

Wolfpack
08-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Just bought a used 08 Yellowstone 8358 gasser. It's equipped with PowerGear jacks. My touchpad was blinking on the lot and they replaced it before taking delivery. I looked up my touchpad on the PowerGear site (http://www.powergearus.com), but it's not listed there (P\N 140-1179).

Also, the jacks do not seem to have much throw. Can't even level it out (left to right) in my relatively level driveway. The front jacks work in tandem so there is no side to side adjustment with them. The sales guy said that was to prevent popping the windshields out due to frame flex. :shock:

Does this sound right?

Thanks

rdlamb
08-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Wolfpack:
e-mail me privately and I will send you Powergear's schematic on your leveling system.
Check your hydraulic fluid, details are in the schematic, as I suspect this may be low.
Also, I have the schematic on the DeWauld slide system that I can send to you.

rdlamb
08-11-2008, 12:13 PM
By the way, thank you for your kind words on the other post.

The jacks have a sensor that detects when the jacks are not fully retracted. Sometimes this occurs if there is a rock, or other object on top of the pad. You should check that as well.

Wolfpack
09-23-2008, 12:05 PM
... I can reset mine by pressing the F & R together on the touch pad one time, all lites go out except the power lite, then press LR (3) times and pad will go blank, press the on off button and it works until I turn off the ignition. every time I turn the ignition on the pad blinks...

I am so glad you posted this. I remembered reading it and it came in very handy on our shakedown cruise this past week-end when our touchpad went haywire - AGAIN. We stopped by the dealer on our way home and the sales guys started in with the usual it's something we did wrong routine. I don't understand that.

It's clearly a warranty issue, and GS and\or PowerGear should step up and pay the dealers that sell their product to fix things that don't work. In a perfect world, I guess, huh...

Anyhow - thanks "gbarngrover" for the post. It worked for us.

bob3nliz
09-24-2008, 11:13 AM
I've the same problem with my jacks. This post has helped. Thank-you for the help. :) Bob-Liz Independence 8357

km7648
10-19-2009, 04:03 PM
I just had mine replaced about 2 weeks ago for the second time, it lasted about a week. The number on back of pad is 10583D. It went out while jacks were down but they retracted as soon as the touch pad was truned on. I can reset mine by pressing the F & R together on the touch pad one time, all lites go out except the power lite, then press LR (3) times and pad will go blank, press the on off button and it works until I turn off the ignition. every time I turn the ignition on the pad blinks. I connected mine so it has power on it all the time and now I have no problem. I am leaving it kike this until they figure it out but this has been going on almost 2 years?
From what I know the Mfg of the PAD says they can't dublicate the problem and say the pad is wired up wrong.

Thanks for this mention as it is exactly the problem I had. Did you end up replacing the controller or was it something else...

bob3nliz
10-20-2009, 03:25 PM
I think it is in the power line coming from the key switch. Hook the power to the pad so it has power all the time, you can still turn it off with power button. This way the pad should not get a spike of power when Ing. key is turn. :) Bob

gbarngrover
10-25-2009, 01:12 PM
I had my touch pad replaced in March 09 and the new one is still working, I have it wired separate from the ignition switch. The old one would worked until the power the power was off of it but I was always able to reset it. It looks like this new one is OK.

km7648
03-29-2010, 12:16 AM
I've been trying to reach Power Gear USA and it seems they went out of business.

I need to replace my 140-1179 leveler controller and can't seem to find one anywhere.

Does anyone on the forum know if another brand / model will work?

Thanks

km7648
05-31-2010, 12:02 PM
I've been trying to reach Power Gear USA and it seems they went out of business.

I need to replace my 140-1179 leveler controller and can't seem to find one anywhere.

Does anyone on the forum know if another brand / model will work?

Thanks

Has anyone been able to find a replacement for this controller?

Mine still does the blinky thing per this thread and I haven't been able to find a new controller anywhere.

CraigS
06-06-2010, 08:48 PM
I was able to fix this problem by getting information from other users. Note that Power Gear nor their website had this information.

Power Gear Leveling Jacks with Dewald Manual System Touchpad #140-1179

Problem: All lights flashing. Pumps runs but jacks are inoperative.
Solution: Reset the keypad as follows

1. Press F and R buttons together and then release. On/Off light will flash.
2. Press LR button 3 times.
3. Press On/Off.
4. Jacks should now work.

I must do this every time I start my MH. Ridiculous but it works.

http://www.statchuk.com/images/PowerGear.jpg