PDA

View Full Version : Body Mounted to Chassis incorrectly - major defect

james3760
06-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Hi all,

I had a long, long list of problems, that took more than 1 year to repair, but 1 problem in particular was just recently diagnosed after 3 repairs. Here goes.

I bought a Gulfstream Sunvoyager 37' Coach, new. After a month or two I noticed the fender was splitting. I took it back to the dealer, they had it forever. It turned out the ordered a new fender, the wrong one. so they repaired the fiberglass and painted.

A few months later, it failed again. I called for an appointment to take it back, it took more than 6 months to get a return phone call. Finally got one and had it repaired for a second time.

It failed again, I called for an appointment, then after about 6 months, I got a call back and I got alot of attitude about why I waited so long before calling and they would have to think about it (on whether or not they would warranty it)

After threatening to sue from my lawyer, they agreed to repair it yet again.

It was in the shop for 4 months and they weren't returning my calls or emails. So I drove out to the shop (40 minute drive) and asked what the hell is going on.

They explained to me that the body wasn't put on the chassis correctly by the manufacturer and that it sits a little of center (to the right) and therefore the right side is lower than the left, and that' why the left fender keeps splitting. When I looked underneath I could see some steel framework that is about 1/2" lower than it should be. I can tell this becuase of a broken weld, and the two pieces that used to be welded are about 1/2" difference in height from the old weld location.

The dealer tells me that this not a safety issue and they will redesign the fender with a flare so it no longer will rub against the tire and split.

Does anyone have any expertise in this area? Is it a safety issue? It seems to me that it will be since one side is off center enought to hang 1/2 lower than the other side.

Also, when I stopped by I found our bed had been used and our alarm clock that we keep in the desk drawer was on the bed and plugged in. And also, there were cherios on the floor in the kitchen. Very upsetting. We always detailed the unit after using it and I know this isn't how we brought it to them.

I think I'm going to sue this time, I'm so frustrated. But before making up my mind, I really want to know what other opinions are out there especially in regards to the chassis/body issue being a safety hazzard or not.

Thanks
james

GStream40
06-02-2008, 10:26 PM
James,
You don't have down what year your coach is. But we had two front fenders split on the left side of our coach. Gulf Stream replaced them both with no complaints from them. I was told personally by Brian Shea, President Motorized division of Gulf Stream that they received a bad shipment of fenders and had to replace several of them on the 2004 models.

As your body being mounted incorrectly, I really can't comment on that other than having been on the factory tour fours years in a round and seeing how they are mounted, it would be hard to understand how that would have happened at the factory.

Ron

james3760
06-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Hi Ron,

Thanks for the post. Mine is a 2004 Sunvoyager. It's the right fender. The chassis mounting problem was relayed to me by the Service Manager at the dealer after having it in his shop since Feb.

He took it apart and said he had to call the factory, it was a major issue that he wasn't sure what to do about it.

It's the right fender.

If you look under the fender, 1/2 way between the engine and the fender there are some square steel framing members and the welds are broken on those and the right side is hanging lower than the drivers side.

The Service Manager explained to me that the body was set onto the chassis off center and that's the reason for the uneven weight distribution.

James

earljan34
06-03-2008, 06:01 PM
James, I had the same problem with my 05 Sun Voyager. The factory sent me to Master tech in Elkhart and they changed the fenders with a different model coach one that had a full arc so the tires could clear, I have not had any problems with them since. I was told by the repair shop that when they changed to 22.5 tires they didn't allow for the size difference, My local dealer just wanted to cut off the flats on the underside of the fender and by the way this is what I seen them do at the factory just cut away the underside so the tires would clear. Good luck with your repair let us know how you make out!

Earl

james3760
06-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Mine is splitting only on the right side front, which is sitting lower than the left side. So I don't think my problem has to do with a tire size change. Plus the service manager sent me an email outlining the problem which is that the body is hanging over on the right side too far.

I wish it was simple fender change, but my fear is that it's an unsafe vehicle. After what I was told I'm afraid to put my family into it now.

James

conquestidor
01-14-2009, 09:27 AM
James, can you tell me how you resolved your problem? We have a similar issue going on right now....thanks!

streamers
07-07-2009, 05:19 PM
James, can you tell me how you resolved your problem? We have a similar issue going on right now....thanks!