View Full Version : To Switch or Not to Switch, that is the question!

David Bott
07-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Hello All...

Well for those of you that have followed along with our first RV adventure and issues with our 2008 Tourmaster T40B, we are still at it. To the point that we are still dealing with issues and have added to the list.

Now I will say that BOTH Gulf Stream and Freightliner have been OUTSTANDING in helping us with the issues we have been having. From the last time I wrote, well, we had a frozen bell crank and found TWO bent inside steel rims that was making for an awful shake. We have been dealing with driveabulity issues from the time we picked it up. Still are.

We really about had it when we went to slide in the living room main slide and it got stuck. Took 3 nice guys from the RV park we were in to help lift it and get it moving. BAM! It popped and started to move. We then found a sheered off bolt that must have loosed to the point to make the issue and the power of the slide just finely won out.

As I mentioned, Gulf Stream and Freightliner have been by our side though all this. So we feel we made the RIGHT CHOICE with Gulf Stream. So, I talked with them and they understand we are concerned with this coach. So, they hooked me up with one of their largest dealers and are working with us if we care to trade this one in for another. (We will have costs and what ave you...More piece of mind is worth something.

So...Do we make the move or do we make take Freightliner up on their offer to come to them in SC and let them go though the coach for the driving issues. I know you really can not answer for us, so I guess I am just reaching out. We have somewhat made this coach our own with some items done to it. This also does not mean a new coach would not have issues of it's own. (well, we know it will, but what? :))

So, considering a Constellation of all things if we do this. I know, WOW. And yes, it will cost us. :)

In any case, their you have it.


07-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Not an easy decision. And the upgrade to the Constellation puts an entirely new spin on the matter. I would say that if you don't feel comfortable with the TM even after work is done, maybe a new coach is the right way to go. Who's the dealer as this an important consideration. Charlie

07-19-2008, 10:11 AM
David, If you can have this RV put in good shape and be happy KEEP IT. You do not know what problems the next one might have. Good luck, BobnLiz

07-19-2008, 03:17 PM
You know we get to the point in life where we can afford the nice things like a motor home and then we wonder if we made the right decision. It is a shame that the manufactures do not have better quality control but when they are hiring people with no expericence and working them for little wages that is what you get. I took a tour through the Toyota plant in Georgetown, KY and those cars were made mostly by Robots, I think they are superior to man. You buy a car today and very seldom do you have any problems. But you buy a motor home that is made by man and all you have is problems, it take a year to just get the factory defects worked out. It make me wonder if I ever want to buy another new one.

Texas TC
07-19-2008, 06:41 PM
Ya know, I have read all the problems you have posted and I think, if it were me, I would take the offer to get a new coach. All coaches are not bad. All new coaches will have some minor issues but nothing like you have experienced. Bite the bullet and let them take the old coach back and get a brand new one. I just hope if you take a new one, they fix your old one before they sell it to some unsuspecting future buyer. If they don't, we will be reading here about some nice folks that just bought a low mileage coach with a ton of problems.

07-19-2008, 06:58 PM
David, if you consider trading off your coach you just might check with GS about the Constellation they built this year. I was led to believe that a sweet deal could be made on one, can?t say where I heard it but check them out on their web site. It?s a tag axle with a side radiator and has a new process for the cabinet work along with a theater room in the rear bedroom.

Good luck.

David Bott
07-19-2008, 08:18 PM
Hi All...

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. Yes, it is a HARD choice to make and I think what the price difference may be will be the deciding factor really. Then again, we really did not take the time to look over the Constellation at the "Back to Home" rally when we were their for, after all, we had a new coach. So that would be another step.

So I guess once we hear back on what type of "offer" they will make, well, the we will know if we will be traveling to Martinsburg RV in PA to give it a look over. (6 hour drive for us as we are in upstate NY.)

We have done a lot to make this coach our own so far, but at the same time we do get nervous with it. So, as mentioned, it would be more of a piece of mind thing. Hey, if we are going to travel in it, that is a big thing.

BTW...I also LOVE the M330 engine in our TM. With the tow of the Saturn Outlook, I have reached 9.4 MPG! I am not sure the C400 would do the same. ;)

David Bott
07-22-2008, 08:13 AM
Ok, get this.

I got the call from the dealership and they said, ok, we got it all figured out. We take your TM T40B on trade along with $109K get you into a new Constellation. Hummm....$109K plus unit would be just about $300K for that. Hello....I can buy them on-line for $30K less!!!! He said though we would be getting a $398K coach. To which I replied...Yes, AT RETAIL FULL MSRP!!!

As soon as I told him I could buy one for less, he said, oh, I will see you one for $250K but you need to sell your coach then.

More to come.

David Bott
07-22-2008, 09:31 AM
BTW...The Constellation is now out of the picture anyway as it does not even have a full size refrigerator in it as the Tour Master T40B does. We have already grown accustom to the full unit and after seeing more or less what is 1/2 the size or even more, well, it would be limited.

Also, the engine is a big thing now that I have done some more research. We really do need to find a way to get all the bugs out and keep this coach with the M330 engine.

Texas TC
07-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Dealers just don't seem to like late model trade in's. When I got my '08 SuperNova, I worked a deal to trade my year old Class C with 12000 miles on it. I sold the coach while my Nova was on order and went back in to renegotiate. Without the trade, I reduced the sales price over 10 grand from the original deal. I do not thoroughly understand why it is this way but I have heard from others that they have had the same experience. I guess they just do not want the liability of trying to sell a virtually new coach in this market when they have so many new ones they need to move.

I guess I am a little miffed at GS for not having the dealer give you a better deal since you have had numerous issues with your TM.

I guess at this point, I would voice my displeasure of the deal with GS and see if they could step in and help. If not, I would pursue all the avenues available to you to get your TM repaired correctly.

07-22-2008, 01:08 PM
Sounds like a **** can deal to me. I would be headed back to the factory with my guns loaded. Talk to an attorney and see where you stand and if necessary have him draft you a letter to send off. Then you will know what recourse you have. It is certainly a shame that we have to put up whth these type of deals, where we spend our money hoping to enjoy fruits of our labor and then we end up in messes like you have. I am sure things can be repaired and it is just going to take a little pressure from you to get it done.