PDA

View Full Version : Trasfer Switch Issue I Do Think...Con you help confirm?

David Bott
10-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Hello...

I have a Progressive Design 5200 Series Transfer Switch in my 2008 Gulf Steam Tour Master RV that was purchased in April 2008.

At this time I have an issue with shore power that I believe is in the 5200 switch shore power relay. I have NO ISSUE when running on the generator.

Tests and Results...

120 V Connection: Plugging into shore power, standard home 120V outlet, using a 50 amp to 30 amp plug converter cable and the a 30 amp to 20 amp converter to make it a standard 3 prong house plug.

Result: When plugged in I measure 119v on leg 1 and 119v on leg 2 coming in when metered to the neutral. (Leg 1 to leg 2 meters 0v) The relay trips as it should to pass power. HOWEVER, on exiting the relay I measure 119v on leg 1 and only 19v on leg 2. (I am guessing this is not correct.)

240 V Connection: Plugging into shore power with 50 AMP service.

Result: When plugged in I measure 120v on leg 1 and 120v on leg 2 coming in when metered to the neutral. (Leg 1 to leg 2 meters 240v) The relay trips as it should to pass power. HOWEVER, on exiting the relay I measure 119v on leg 1 and only 20v on leg 2. (I am guessing this is not correct.)

Generator: Starting 8000 Generator

Result: With generator running I measure 120v on leg 1 and 120v on leg 2 coming in when metered to the neutral. (Leg 1 to leg 2 meters 0v) The relay trips after about 20 seconds or so to pass power. On exiting the relay I measure 120v on leg 1 and 120v on leg 2. (I am guessing this is correct as the RV powers and operates as it should.)

Conclusion: I am thinking that their is a open ground in the shore power relay for leg 2 where power is going to ground or neutral and thus only 20 v on the output of leg 2 messing up the voltage to the power distribution system.

Please HELP as we leave for 2 week trip on the 20th and need shore power. I have no issue replacing the switch if you think my conclusion is correct.

Thank you.

David

GStream40
10-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Sounds like you have a definite problem in your transfer switch at the relay for the shore power. Probably a burnt contact and not making good connection.

If it was me I would order a new transfer switch and install it. I had to replace mine in June of this year.

Ron