PDA

View Full Version : Changing oil

mark2line
11-14-2008, 02:46 PM
I have a 2008 Tour Master T40A with a Mercedes 330 diesel engine.
I am going to change the oil myself in the engine and the gen set.
I have always done my own work on cars and the gas coaches that I have owned.
Has anyone got any do's and don'ts on doing this myself.

Thank You,

mark2line

trickto322
11-14-2008, 07:18 PM
I would suggest installing a fumoto valve (fumotovalve.com). I just changed my oil and made a royal mess. :cry: good luck

mark2line
11-15-2008, 08:10 AM
Thank You for the info.

I have ordered the part on line.

Do you suggest that I take the existing oil drain plug out and install this valve on the fly so I can control the flow.
I guess that this would enable me to control the flow of oil.
Why did you have a mess. Is it because there is so much oil that you container was not big enough.
How much oil does it take

Thanks again

mark2line

RayChez1
11-15-2008, 10:12 PM
I don't have a MB engine on mine, I have the 3126-E Cat engine on my Scenic Cruiser, But I am also considering the Fumuto valve on my next oil change. I gave my coach an oil change about a month ago and when I took the cap off it splashed some out of the container. The Cat engine only holds nineteen quarts of oil and the container that I bought holds twenty. With this valve you can control the flow and turn it off anytime you want. So it sounds like a good thing to have if you are going to service the coach yourself. Sorry I don't know how much oil the MB holds, but your manual should tell you.

trickto322
11-19-2008, 05:34 PM
I changed my oil twice. The first time I had a friend help me and it went very smooth and no mess, the second time I found out a small spill :evil: makes a big mess. I will be installing this valve if I do my oil again. Without it you have no control of gallons and gallons of oil, everything must be CORRECT to prevent any spill. I have changed my car oil for years and never lose a drop, a big difference here. Good Luck

quikduk
11-21-2008, 12:53 PM
I also added a Fumoto #F104 drain valve in place of the factory oil pan drain plug to aid in future oil maintenance.

http://www.fumotousa.com/

My recent fluid/filter change is listed at the link below:

C8.3 SERVICE (http://www.gsowners.com/viewtopic.php?t=1442)

rdlamb
11-21-2008, 09:43 PM
Hi Mark:
If you have an extended warranty, as some of us do, then you have to keep good records of the oil/filter changes. Keep your receipts in a file along with a receipt for your filter. There are cheap logs that you can buy at local RV shops, where you can record your milage and oil changes.
Also, I usually use synthetic oils, but have switched to regular high grade petroleum oils, per recommendation of my trucker friends. I record the oil type and amount in the log.
The oil drain valve is a god-send.