PDA

View Full Version : dead battery??

s79vette
02-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Went out today in Glorious sunshine to start motors on rig. Got genny running and engine wouldn't turn a lick. No power to anything with ignition turned on. Checked batteries and all were good 13plus volts and no corrosion. Went back inside and played with headlite switch and just happened to push emergency lite button and got a chattering noise. Turned it off and on a few times until they worked and tried key and motor started.
May be a relay that wasn't closing properly that supplies voltage to ignition system and dash functions, don't know, but it finally started. Steve

RayChez1
02-10-2009, 12:04 PM
A few years ago I had a simular problem. I would start the engine and when I would start going it would stop. It done it about three times. To me it was like if somebody was shutting the ignition switch off. So I took the ignition switch off and noticed that the back side of the switch was kind of expanded out and was not making good contact. I got a piece of wire and wrapped it around the switch and tightened it up to bring the back cover into place and apparently that was the problem, because I have never had that happen again. And I was going to replace the switch, but since it has not given anymore problems I just left it as is. It has been now at least five years with no problems. So like they say, if it is not giving problems, leave it alone. :wink: