PDA

View Full Version : ammonia smell in fridge

pjschmitz
05-10-2009, 07:51 PM
new to forum, just bought an 88 Sun Sport, we are working through the systems and have a strong ammonia smell from refridgerator, will this go away?, thanks

mfa
05-10-2009, 08:19 PM
The coolant used by the fridge is ammonia, so that's not good. Is it even cooling down?

bob3nliz
05-11-2009, 11:09 AM
SHUT IT OFF go to internet and see if its on recall list check with dealer TURN OFF GAS PLEASE be CAREFULL until you know its OK Bob :!:

rdlamb
05-11-2009, 07:54 PM
More likely that the ammonia "smell" is added to the refrigerant to warn you that there is a problem. Definitely go to the web sites to see if your refrigerator is on the recall list.

Also, check under the refrigerator, if you can. There may be a panel or a heater, or something directly under the refrigerator. What I found, is that a leak in the refrigerator could rot out the floor under it.

mfa
05-13-2009, 09:00 PM
More likely that the ammonia "smell" is added to the refrigerant to warn you that there is a problem...

No, it's actually pure ammonia --
http://www.howstuffworks.com/refrigerator4.htm

rdlamb
05-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Hi MFA:
Actually, the article you sent me shows that the refrigerant is not ammonia. Ammonia is so toxic, no commercial or RV refrigerator uses it. There are new combinations, but most are an inert gas.
I was thinking that they might have introduced an ammonia smell into the refrigerant, to tell you if you had a leak.

mfa
05-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Hi MFA:
Actually, the article you sent me shows that the refrigerant is not ammonia....

Sorry -- I gave you the wrong link. Propane refridgerators don't have compressors. Try this one...
http://home.howstuffworks.com/refrigerator5.htm

Note that it says, "A gas refrigerator uses ammonia as the coolant."

rdlamb
05-19-2009, 01:45 PM
I learned something today. This is information we need to know. If our refrigerators are powered by a toxic gas, we should know that in case we smell it.
Thanks.