PDA

View Full Version : 08 Tourmaster air bag suspension 120psi?

univmd
06-10-2009, 07:07 PM
I have an 08 Tourmaster:

The sticker on the window says that I need to wait until the airbags are at least 120psi before driving off.

I only have two psi guages on my dash. Both have tire icons on them. Both go from 0-150psi, but only reach a max. of 113psi after starting up the engine (audio alarm goes off after 75psi).

I think one is for the front airbrakes and the other is for the rear airbrakes? Is it safe to drive off when the two guages above are only 113psi?

How do I measure airbag suspension psi to make sure they are at least 120psi? Do YOU measure air bag suspension psi?

With warm regards, James

nuthut
06-10-2009, 08:56 PM
I think the guages indicate the pressure in the front and rear tanks. The air compressor on the engine will only build pressure until it reaches the cut off point of the compressor governor, which in normally between 110 - 120 lbs. You will be fine to drive off as soon as your engine is warmed up and the pressure is full, somewhere around 110 or greater pounds. I am not aware of an air bag guage or any way to measure the pressure of an air bag from the cockpit. Good luck.

GO BLUE
06-11-2009, 02:11 PM
I just wait until I hear the loud hiss sound than I know I'm good to go...by mistake I once pulled out of the storage unit when bags were still deflated...didnt go far but it's a rough ride you will know to stop and flip switch from lower to auto Jim K

David Bott
06-12-2009, 08:35 AM
The two gauges are for the tanks themself. The main tank and the secondary. You will see these go up and down slowly as you use your brakes for example. (pump the breaks a few times you will see them drop down some.)

Note that even if you forget to move the lever to put air in to the suspension, as soon as you put it into drive or reverse it will start to fill the bags. When you put it back to neutral it will again drop the air. This is meant as a safety only. Not to be used in place of the lever.

Yes, we also wait until we here the blow-by hiss that is heard at the point all it aired up.

univmd
06-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Thank you for the great replies. Just out of curiousity, when does your governor cut off exactly? Mine seems to cut off at 113psi (just over the halfway tick mark between 75 and 150psi on the guages).

David Bott
06-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Thats about right. My compressor turns on just under 75 then off about 115 or so.

Note, the compressor can only do like 115lbs or something like that. I had asked Freightliner at one time as I asked about using the air hose to fill the tires.

univmd
06-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Hi David, yes I tried topping my tires to 120 psi with the air hose from the front bay, and it didn't work. So I ended up buying a 150psi portable compressor which I plug and store in the front bay. Alas that bay does not have a locking door.

It seems like many coaches have governor's that keep on going until 125psi. I wonder why ours stop at 115psi?

jrrose41
06-14-2009, 07:26 AM
You people should learn about the air system on your vehicles before you kill yourself or someone else... If ANYONE thinks they can put 125 lbs of air pressure in a motorhome tire or any other truck tire, they are mistaken. Check your manufactures decal for tire pressures.
Go to a Diesel shop, or a Diesel truck dealer and ask or even pay for a mechanic to teach you about the air system of your vehicles.
It may just save your life...
Sorry about the soapbox, but I just couldn't believe some of the responces
X truck mechanic

jrrose41
06-14-2009, 07:30 AM
The air lift system (bags) work on a reduced air pressure, perhaps 60-65 lbs...........