PDA

View Full Version : Air Lift air-bag addition

bottieri
08-24-2009, 06:04 PM
My coach seemed a little low in the rear, so I had some Air Lift air-bags installed along with the automatic control "Smartair automatic on-board air system". What a difference in ride and handling!

The automatic control system was probably over-kill, but I do like that it controls each side separately and totally automatically.

I highly recommend this system for better ride and control, and much less sway.

The front end was aligned by Josam in Orlando the day before installing the air-bag system. Josam is the finest truck and bus alignment shop in the world (in my opinion).

I just cannot believe the difference in how much better the RV rides and handles.

dcwinters
08-29-2009, 08:26 AM
Was the Air Lift system made for your RV, or did you have to adapt? Was was the Air Lift part number?

bottieri
08-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Camping World's SKU numbers are: 30324 Ait Bag kit, and 25932 Controller kit.

purduepete2
08-30-2009, 02:09 AM
What was the cost to install and what was the weight of the rear axle when you started?
Thanks

bottieri
08-30-2009, 06:15 AM
Don't know the weight on the rear axle, but with a normal load in the coach the back end was low before installing the air bags and the ride and handling was not up to my expectations.

After the air bag installation the height is wherever I set it and the handling in much better. It rides smoother too.

Cost with sales tax installed was a little over $1300.

purduepete2
09-02-2009, 04:50 AM
I highly recommend getting your coach weighed to make sure you're not overloading the rear axle.
We have a 2007 BT Cruiser Model 5291B that I white knucked all the way home after purchase. Weighed it at Flying J and the front axle was 3660 and the rear was 9340 with full propane, fuel and water. This was with no one in the vehicle and no gear. Capacity of the rear axle is rated at 9550.
We had several factory modifications made and now it drives like an SUV.
My cost was $600 for new shocks and front air bags in the coil springs.

bottieri
09-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the info.

There is a "fudge-factor' of 10 to 15 % in the axle carrying capacities of all truck chassis. The foremost number is the weight carrying capacity of the tires when properly inflated. On my RV they are rated at 2470 each when mounted as duals. That's 9880 and you can figure they will easily carry bout 10% more if in good condition and properly inflated.

Changing the tires will not increase the load carrying capicity and neither will adding bigger or better springs or shocks. There's more to it than that - including the braking ability..

However, even at stated 9550 it's pretty hard to load and additional 210 pounds of weight (over what you alrady had loaded) in the rear unless you've loaded the tounge weight of the hitch. But considering you have 10% over that, you won't be over the weight the chassis and tires can handle unless you do something with a trailer or put a motorcycle on the back.

Adding the air springs to my coach improved the ride and riding height, but did not increase the weight carrying capacity of the axle.