PDA

View Full Version : towing a 2010 jeep liberty

Jim A
10-25-2009, 09:46 AM
I have a new jeep liberty and the book says I must disconect the battery to tow it? Has anyone any new information on this subject?

11B
10-27-2009, 02:26 PM
You can pick up a simple disconect from camper world cheap. Its simple to install and a must as for some reason on the new 08-09 liberty the battery goes dead if you don't disconect.

teebee60
10-27-2009, 08:01 PM
I think I read that the new Jeeps no longer have the OFF ignition position so ignition has to be ON to unlock for towing.

Texas TC
10-28-2009, 09:41 AM
If it is like my '07 (new body style) Wrangler, Chrysler engineers indeed forgot??? to put an off position on the switch. Like no one is ever gonna tow a Jeep, right? I found there is a fuse that Chrysler uses while transporting the vehicles that can be pulled and does not require disconnecting the battery. On my Wrangler, it is in the fuse box under the hood. It is identified by having a larger white collar. The collar is also a retainer so the fuse stays in the box just not connected to the contact points. I just pull up on the collard fuse and push down on it when I am ready to drive again. This fuse will still allow you to start the vehicle, it only kills the comfort and display features of the vehicle.

I have towed the Wrangler over 25000 miles using this method with good results. The only pain is that the clock must be reset. Radio stations are not effected using this method.

David Bott
10-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Or if you so choose, just put in one of these...(SIMPLE install)

http://www.lslproducts.com/ToadChargePage.html

It will keep your battery charged from the coach alternator. (Only when the coach is running and thus a + charge current is present.)

For me, I have one of these, I in the Saturn I need to pull a fuse or mileage get added even if the Outlook is not running. I mention this for you may care to look at your mileage when you head out and then check it to see if it going up. If it is, then I guess you would need to disconnect that battery anyway.

I did not use the tow bar connector, I wired right into the main cable that I run from my coach for the lights on the tow. One of those, I forget which, has the live 12V that comes from the coach. So when ever I have the electrical cable hooked to the Outlook, it maintains the battery with this unit.

Side note...They also have this to keep your coach starting batteries charged up when you are on shore power...

http://www.lslproducts.com/TLSPage.html

Again, simple install.