PDA

View Full Version : Tile flooring

Dexter
03-21-2010, 03:23 AM
Anyone put a tile floor in there motorhome. I know some factors are doing it and I am considering it myself. Thanks for Any advise.

rodger1997
03-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Dexter...you can use a 1/4" backer board to save on weight, there are two companies we use, Handi Backer and Easy Board, we perfer the Easy Board because it seems to move less which will result in a better tile job and less grout cracking. Also be sure to use a thinset that is a fleixible set, because of the viberation and coach movement. A layer of flexible thinset under the backer board is also recommended..a good quality latex additive for the grout is a must also..no water....good luck.

Make sure the 1/4" backer board is secured to a min. 3/4" sub-floor and it is tight.

Dexter
03-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Wasn,t sure that with the ultra set 2 I would need a backer board. Sound like a better option. I will use an quality construction adhesive over the metal floor near the drivers seat. Never used a grout addiative what is it and what do you recommend.

rodger1997
03-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Dexter...The grout additive is a replacement for water when mixing grout. It helps bind the grout together better and also aides in preventing grout cracking caused to movement...you want to prevent as much movement as possible...Latacrete makes a good product.

Dexter
03-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Thanks very much I spoke to the flooring salesman at home depot today he had never heardof a grout addiativde. So I'll go to a tile speciality store or the internet to find and order it. Again Thanks

72chevy4x4
03-28-2010, 03:29 PM
Lowes has additives...pretty sure HD has them as well. be careful as they have inexperienced guys manning the areas at time...

something like a Laticrete 333 flexible additive should do the trick--watch out, it is expensive.

Dexter
03-28-2010, 11:39 PM
Thanks again. I like narrow grout lines is there a problem with 1/8 spacing.

rodger1997
03-29-2010, 11:01 AM
It's harder to get a sanded grout in 1/8" but you can if you work at it! :)

Dexter
03-31-2010, 09:47 PM
I was planning to use a non-sanded grout

Darol Johnson
04-06-2010, 08:14 AM
I was at rally couple weeks ago and they adv ised wood flooring. I have ordered solid wood and am going to try that. Darol

03heritagerider
04-06-2010, 03:29 PM
If I ever replace the carpeting in my coach I'm using a product I use on our apartment rentals called "Allure". So far, none of our tenants have been able to destroy it as they have with laminates, tile and wood.

It comes in a variety of colors and textures that resemble everything from wood grains to slates. Comes in 6" X 36" slats for as little as $1.80 sq.ft. It is a heavy vinyl product that is near the weight and thickness of truck mud flaps. Color goes all the way through - no floor prep - it's impervious to water and mildew - it's flexible - it cuts with a utility knife and it floats(no floor adhesive). It's held together by an overlapping strip that has pre-applied contact cement. Once you stick the slats together, they are STUCK. All you need is some sort of trim to keep it in place and finish the edges.

Dexter
04-07-2010, 10:33 AM
So far no luck on the grout additive 1 person at lowes had heard of an additive for sealing the grout is that what you adviseed me too use She said it was a different Brand but the same item

Dexter
04-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Many times when I was building homes I would use thin Latax Paint in the grout to seal it and too add gloss if desired. You think this would damage the flex ability og the grout or increase it

rodger1997
04-11-2010, 08:10 PM
I can get it for you if you like....1-800-554-0212 ask for Rodger

72chevy4x4
04-14-2010, 04:52 AM
some advice on wood...if you install wood flooring, I would suggest an engineered wood flooring, typically in the 5/16-3/8" range of thickness and looks like plywood. A very durable installation method would be to glue it (follow manufacturers instructions). engineered flooring is a great solution to a mobile platform b/c it is more stable than solid 3/4" flooring and the glue down method is a great deterent to squeeks (movement).

also, consider a glue down vinyl flooring product-like sheet flooring. There are padded options, which have a built in backing for cushion-typical draw on this product is for a 'floating' installation, but glue it down. better sound absorbtion with this product than wood. I would suggest a glue down vinyl over ceramic-no worry's about breaking glass on a vinyl floor.