PDA

View Full Version : Drivers License Requirements

Beaufort NC
04-16-2010, 07:15 PM
About three years ago, we transitioned from a Holiday Rambler to a Crescendo 8356, GVWR 28,000 pounds. At the time we bought it, we were assured by the dealer that a regular NC drivers license was okay, and that we could drive it without anything else.

Not so, folks! In this state, the requirement is waived for a CDL for driving an RV, but there is still a weight restriction of 26,001 pounds for a regular (class C) NC license. For more that that weight, you must pass a written test and take a road test for a class B NC license, which is good for non-CDL vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more, plus trailers up to 10,000 pounds.

So in NC, for an RV with a GVWR of 26,001 or more, you must have a class B license. Today, 42,620 miles later, I got my upgrade (it's a wonder that I never got caught)!

I wonder how other states stack up in this regard.

teebee60
04-16-2010, 09:24 PM
Did you drive your motorhome yourself to the road test? I'm getting ready to get my class B license and wondered if anything would be said about me driving up in my motorhome without the proper license!

Beaufort NC
04-17-2010, 05:34 AM
No, I had a friend with a CDL drive it for me, and he said he was impressed with the way the rig handles! I probably would have been fine if I had driven it myself, but it was asked when I made the appointment, and I decided that I wouldn't take the chance.

BTW, they required proof if insurance, and an air brake test.