PDA

View Full Version : Odor where the wash dry goes

Kenkolen
06-21-2010, 08:22 PM
There is an odor coming from the grey water tank, it appears to be coming from the closet where the wash/dry goes. I had read about some sort of vent that ends in the bathroom but should go to the roof and there is someting that can be purchased at Home Depot to cure this?
This is going in a 2006 Yellowstone DP.

Neal

Timothy
06-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Try dumping some water in the drain pipe, the trap is probably dry.

Tim

Kenkolen
06-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Thanks I will give it a try.

Timothy
06-23-2010, 09:08 PM
I just checked mine and it has a screw in cap on the top of it. Maybe yours is missing.

Kenkolen
06-23-2010, 09:28 PM
I have to check, this is the first time this has happend, thanks again.

RJ82much
06-23-2010, 10:01 PM
There is a fancy name for the fitting that I cannot recall, but it is (or should be) a screw-on, one-way valve. If the pipe just ends, feel for internal threads. My valve was missing under the bathroom sink. We occasionally got foul oders. Wife remembered a loose "something" laying on the floor of the cabinet. Screwed it in and never had another oder problem.

Timothy
06-24-2010, 04:32 PM
RJ, I think your thinking of a quick vent, the washer standpipe just has a threaded cap.......Tim

GStream40
06-25-2010, 01:28 PM
We always called them "Vacuum Breakers" because that is what they really do. They really don't "vent" in your pipe, they allow air to enter to break the vacuum that can form in the pipe and not allow the liquid to drain into the tank. They are a one way valve that allows air in, but does not allow air/odors to escape into your living area.

But in this case, it sounds like it is the washer drain that does not have water in the trap or a cap on the pipe if a washer is not installed.

Ron

hyall
06-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Maybe a Stutor vent so you don't have to penetrate the roof its vents to let air in but not out into cabinet or closet areas

abc
08-19-2010, 12:15 AM
Gray water tanks often accrue soap foam on the side of the tanks because most of the time what people do, they leave the valve open and no water passes through it. This old scum of soap produces some bad odors. You can try draining it and cleaning it through de-foamer solution. You can also try using baking soda for cleaning this scum. Apply some baking soda into the tank and leave it for some time. Then clean it by draining. It will make the tank clean and odor free. :)