PDA

View Full Version : ENGINE STALLS

sam barnett
07-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Have 1988 Gulf Stream Class A , Just returned from3,000 mile trip, last 150 miles engine would stall like out of GAS, Let sit for 30-45 minutes engine would start, go about 30 miles ,then quit again. made it home after about 10 hours for 150 miles. Had tune up before leaving. Engine and coach has 34,000 miles registered. I thought maybe vapor lock, but engine was not running hot.. maybe a filter, looks like someone worked on gas tank in the past...The Engine is a 460, fuel injected..any Ideals. Thanks Sam

mikeipm
07-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Check the catalytic converter, I had a similar problem. When the converter heats up it shuts the engine down by choking the air out of it. I am NOT a mechanic or even mechanically inclined, I am only giving you a hypothesis based on previous experience.

RayChez1
07-14-2010, 11:15 AM
It sounds to me like a plugged up fuel filter. There should be a filter probably close to the fuel tank. Follow the fuel line back from the engine to the tank and I am sure you will find it.
I had a simular problem on a 1988 Ford F-250 truck and I didn't even know that such a filter existed. It was mounted on the frame to the truck close to the fuel tank.
I hear a lot of people talk about vapor lock, but I don't believe there is such a thing. The problem is usually something else, like a bad fuel pump, plugged fuel filters. I would say also fuel injectors, but usually when they start to go bad the engine will miss, like if you were to disconnect a spark plug wire. But you mention that the engine stops, so it leads me to believe that it is your fuel filter. The filter on my 1988 truck was all medal and about three inches in diameter. You should be able to find one probably at WalMart.

sam barnett
07-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks for Information. Sam

mikeipm
07-14-2010, 06:58 PM
I went to a website that was advertised in this forum. www.justanswer.com (http://www.justanswer.com) RV mechanics will answer a question if you post it. I read some of the questions and answers and they seemed helpful.

sam barnett
07-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Thanks for information...........Sam

sam barnett
11-16-2010, 12:01 AM
After listening to a few people, and commonsense I deduced that the probleum was a faulty REAR gas tank fuel pump, that when it got hot it would quit working to supply the front high pressure pump..I installed a new rear pump in rear gas tank, went on 4,000 mile road trip,ran perfect
Thank you for your suggestions- Sam

RayChez1
11-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Good to hear the good news. :wink: