PDA

View Full Version : Noise when gears shifting

Baltimoresupernova
07-24-2010, 08:37 PM
I have a 2008 supernova and have taken it to the international dealer several times as I am concerned about the noise the rig makes when shifting gears. It seems to occur more when it is in overdrive. It sounds like a transmission issue, however, after reading some your posts, it may be related to the turbo.

The dealer made some adjustments to the computer system and it seemed to help. But only lasted for a short time.

Can anyone help?

Turbo farting?

Texas TC
07-25-2010, 11:48 AM
I suspect that it indeed is a turbo issue and no one here or anyone I have talked to at International has come up with a fix.

Good luck!

Biobug
07-27-2010, 09:57 AM
When it makes the noise, have you looked in the passenger side mirror for black smoke releasing from exhaust? With mine "pharts" when under torque
and shifting sometime going back and forth between 2 gears. Until 19,000 miles and a new MAP sensor it also triggered a CEL.
I also found that the Ford Powerstroke Forums have many with the 6.0 having the same issue if that is what you are referring to. I just had mine in again for the CEL issue related to the "trait" they have and that makes 4 dealer visits and the newest program that is supposed to help. They just do it and it is hard to trigger it with a dealer mechanic plugged in. Mine shows "excessive exhaust back pressure" which seems to tell the turbo to release
boost.