PDA

View Full Version : Leveling leg question

SugarRv
08-03-2010, 10:36 AM
I have a 2003 Friendship Quattro with the Dewald leveling system. How do I remove the metal pad at the bottom of the leveling leg? I need to pound it flat after bending it on a rock recently.

03heritagerider
08-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Sugar,

I'll be watching your post carefully. I had one of my pads turn into a "Spear" on some soft ground and have had to use boards under it since.

I tried to get under there with a heavy ratchet, breaker bar, WD-40 and PB Blaster. I was going to try to just flip it over and use it that way. But, it would not budge.

I hope you get a response soon.

SugarRv
08-04-2010, 07:48 PM
The same thing happened to my pad. I contacted Power Gear and they basically said to just unbolt it from the bottom of the leg. I tried but had the same experience you had. I'm afraid if I put too much force on it, I might damage the leg, and that would be expensive. I am letting it sit for a couple of days after spraying it with Liquid Wrench.

03heritagerider
08-04-2010, 10:05 PM
The only thing I didn't try, because I don't have one, is a an air impact wrench. If you have access to one, give that a try and let me know. If it works, it might be worth it for me to buy or rent one.

SugarRv
08-05-2010, 09:34 AM
The only thing I didn't try, because I don't have one, is a an air impact wrench. If you have access to one, give that a try and let me know. If it works, it might be worth it for me to buy or rent one.

Thanks for reminding me that I have an impact wrench. I will be gone the next few days but will give that a try when I return.

RayChez1
08-07-2010, 12:27 AM
Yep, I also bent the rear pad on the drivers side. not real bad, but it is bent. I tried to pound it with a small sledge, but to no avail. I think maybe applying a little heat a person might be able to straighten it out. The only thing that might worry me about applying heat is that it might take the tensil out of the steal pad. Mine is not all that bent so I have not gotten into any rush to try and take it off.

03heritagerider
08-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Ray,

Mine is also the rear driver's side pad. But it is definitely in a "V" shape. As, mentioned above, I put lumber under it to keep it from piercing into any surface. I also put lumber under the other pads to prevent them from bending also.

I think bending it back would only weaken the steel. If I were to ever get it off, I would install a new one, or go to a metal shop and get a heavier piece of steel to replace it.

SugarRv
08-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Ray,

Mine is also the rear driver's side pad. But it is definitely in a "V" shape. As, mentioned above, I put lumber under it to keep it from piercing into any surface. I also put lumber under the other pads to prevent them from bending also.

I think bending it back would only weaken the steel. If I were to ever get it off, I would install a new one, or go to a metal shop and get a heavier piece of steel to replace it.

A little heat did the trick for me. I used the propane torch for about 5 minutes and I was able to get the bolt to turn. I then heated the pad with the torch and pounded it flat with a 10# maul. It's 1/4 inch steel so I doubt if I weakened it at all. At least now it is back to flat and doing the job it was designed for.

03heritagerider
08-24-2010, 07:13 PM
Sugar,

Thanks, I'll give it a try.