PDA

View Full Version : Changing tire question.

Sc00ter
10-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Hi all, I am new to the TT world and have a question. Does anyone have any reference on how to change a tire from GS? I downloaded the manual from their page and it mentions everything about tires except how to change them. After reading posts on other sites on this issue, replies range from jacking the axle directly under the spring, jacking the frame, to using one of those single tire ramps that lifts the entire bogey off the ground. In each case there is someone who comes up with a reason why each method should not be used. The only general agreement is to do what the manufacturer suggests and I cannot nail that down. Thoughts?

Thank you.

Scott
BTW my new toy (to my family) is a 2007 24BH Amerlite with 175 80D 13 tires if that matters.

natemoore
10-23-2010, 03:56 PM
If you're still around.....

I think I'd just use my $25 Wal-Mart bottle jack and put it directly under the u-bolt plate of the tire/axle in question. Can't imagine any reason not to do this.

Sc00ter
10-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Yep still around. Thank you for the reply- I had thought about that but wondered if a bottle jack would fit under that plate when the tire was totally flat. I am now waffling on buying a used (from the junk yard) scissor jack with a low profile (more weight to carry) or use sections of cut 2x6s to lift the good tire.

Thank you again for the reply.

Scooter

natemoore
10-23-2010, 06:19 PM
Ah, good point. I'll measure that. Scissor jack may be better.