PDA

View Full Version : Battery Backup devices

holmesaw
11-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this type of device as an alternate to an inverter? Just would like to watch TV for a couple of hours without running the generator.

11B
11-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Yo homesaw not much in your post to look at. Perhaps you forgot to post alink

holmesaw
11-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Did not intend to post a link, just asking a question about the subject.

11B
11-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Great question and I hope you get a reply as I'm interested in how they work also.

wwells
05-17-2011, 05:14 AM
I use replacement batteries for APC units to power my trail cameras on my hunting lease. I also have used it to power 2 CPAP units while motorcycle tent camping. The battery I have will power my CPAP for 3 nights without a recharge. I had not thought to use it while dry-camping :idea: . I think I'll power my home TV tonight and see how it does.

israndy
05-28-2011, 10:33 AM
If you have an APC already, fine, but if you are shopping for one for this purpose, don't. You already own the battery part of the equation, all you need is an inverter to have a complete backup power supply. Inverters are cheap these days. I just got a 400 watt from Duracell for about $40 on eBay.

Run that to the TV and you have 110v w/just enough power to have the TV on so you are not wasting energy. I had a 40 watt for almost a year and it was fine, but I could never eject the DVD in the drive, the unit would reset. Now that I have 400 watts it works perfectly, but I have to keep listening to the fan spin up for a second twice a minute. Might make sense to get a smaller or fan free inverter if this is something you are going to do a lot of, or just stash the inverter where it cannot be heard.

Now if your concern is that you don't wanna mess with the batteries in the RV by using them to watch the TV realize you would have the same maintenance issues with an APC of batteries needing replacement. If the issue is wanting more battery, which I am dealing with, you might want to look into getting two 6 volts to replace your 12 volt. Only slightly larger depending on where they are stored.

-Randy