PDA

View Full Version : Super C - Safety Hazard

jernatab
06-07-2005, 12:22 PM
As a new Gulfstream owner I was very concerned about an experience that we had with our new 05 GS Independence Super C. I sent the following letter to Gulfstream's President (according to their website) and as of yet have not received ANY response at all. I'm posting this issue on the forum to alert others of this issue:

May 18, 2005

Gulf Stream, Inc.
P.O. Box 1005
Nappanee, IN 46550
(574) 773-7761

Attention: Mr. Brian Shea,
Re: 2005 Gulf Stream Independence C Safety Issue

Dear Mr. Shea,

I am writing this letter directly to you as I feel it is a very important matter that concerns the safety of the Gulf Stream Super C Models installed with the Swing Out Television Entertainment Center located above the cab.

We purchased our Gulf Stream Coach on May 11, 2005 from Safe Harbor R.V. Sales in Mead, CO. On today?s date, I asked my wife to drive the coach to the dealership so that we could have a couple of minor adjustments made to the unit. I planned to meet her at the dealership to go over the adjustments with the dealer. We live approximately 2 miles from the dealership.

When my wife arrived, she was quite upset. She stated that as she was pulling out of the neighborhood on to the main road, the swing-out t.v. console suddenly swung out and was hanging by the hinge above her head. The console had swung out past the white rollers that hold it in place and was only being supported by the piano hinge. She said that she noticed the hinged seemed loose. I asked my wife how fast she was going and she stated that she was driving very slowly. The speed on the main road is 45 m.p.h. and she stated she was traveling at about 35 m.p.h. As she could not immediately pull over to the side of the road due to the traffic, she said that she was holding the steering wheel with one hand and supporting the swing-out t.v. console above her head with the other hand. She had to drive about 1/2 - 3/4 of a mile before she could safely pull to the side. As she was driving that short distance, she stated that the coach bumped slightly over a road bump and suddenly the entire t.v. console came completely unhinged and was falling out the console opening. Keep in mind that this t.v. console was at such an angle that it could have very easily fallen right through the opening in the overhead cab area (where the removable cushion is placed) and right onto my wife?s head as she was driving.

Fortunately, my wife was able to pull over to the side of the road and she was then able to push the entire t.v., still located on the swing-out stand, on to the cushion of the overhead bunk.

Upon inspecting the hinge and fastening system for the console, it appears to have the following problems:

1. The screws used to hold the piano hinge in place appear to be undersized and the hinge pulled right through the screw holes.
2. The piano hinge may not be strong enough to hold the weight of the t.v. swing out console.
3. The fastener and rollers used to close and hold the swing-out console in place, do not ?lock? in any kind of manner that safely prevents the console from opening while the coach is in motion.
4. There is no secondary method to secure the console in place.

I have enclosed digital photos that were taken of the t.v. console so that you can better understand what I am describing.

The dealer inspected this situation as well and told us that the console would be reinstalled and that they would install a bracket to more securely hold the swing-out console in place. This is covered as part of our warranty.

Mr. Shea, the swing-out console could have seriously injured my wife. My concern is that this situation could pose a significant safety hazard to either the driver or passenger should the same situation occur with someone else. My wife was able to support the console until she could safely pull over and move it out of the opening of the over cab. If the driving conditions were different (on a highway or mountain road) a driver may not be able to maneuver the coach in such a way to safely avoid injury.

Please review this situation and advise as to what actions Gulf Stream can take to avoid this type of situation in the future.

Thank you

RJ82much
06-07-2005, 02:07 PM
The use of undersized fasteners seems to be the norm. I have a driver's door in my class A. I climbed the ladder to get in the door & one sheet metal screw broke, the other just popped out of the wall panel.

I didn't fall & the ladder didn't break, but what kind of idiots do they have designing these things? Right now my ladder is merely decorative & I can't use my (very expensive) door.

I can't believe that 2 sheet metal screws, probably #6, maybe #8 are rated to hold a grown man. I've never heard of a trucker's ladder falling off. Why can't my Gulf Stream hold together?

Sigh........

gsadmin
06-07-2005, 04:04 PM
I worry everytime I climbe my rear ladder. Each bracket has two screws and the cap flexs at evey step i take. And, I only weigh 172!

RJ82much
06-07-2005, 10:39 PM
I agree about the ability of the rear ladder to hold my 230 lbs. I was topside once, & there was soo much flexing I was afraid to come back down.

Do you recall the thread on the "official" site where a GS spokesman warned an owner not to hang a bicycle from the ladder because of the weight. I asked if it can't hold the weight of a bike, how can it possibly hold the weight of a grown man?

GS chose not to respond. :o

Surely all traces of THAT thread as well as any of your's (gsadmin) & mine.

sigh... (1 more time!)