PDA

View Full Version : New power distribution box

72chevy4x4
11-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Went out to the coach last night and found no electricity at all...after 20 minutes of trouble shooting I found the neutral buss bar inside the power distribution box had melted due to the lug tightening the neutral leg of the shore power connection (I think) which caused over heating and arcing. Fortunately, the corrosion from the poor connection caused the unit to stop transferring power before a fire (if possible in this situation).

As my rig is a 1996, I'm looking into buying a new distribution box if the advances in charging technology would mean an improvment in battery performance.

Is the battery charging (house and chassis) handled from the interior power panel dist box?

where is the transfer switch between the generator and shore power?

I would appreciate any recommendations!

03heritagerider
11-18-2010, 09:38 PM
My transfer switch is located under the bed.

RJ82much
11-19-2010, 09:15 AM
My transfer switch is located at the very rear of the coach, on the floor under the dresser drawers.

The bed hides the ac to dc power converter / battery charging box. The power distribution center boxes are also mounted to the bed support wall.

Sundancer268
05-24-2011, 08:33 PM
On my 95 Scenic Cruiser DP the power distribution panels AC and AC/DC are mounted in the foot of the bed and the transfer switch is mounted under the foot of the bed. When my inverter failed I mounted the replacement inverter under the foot of the bed also. That way I do not have to go out in the rain and cold to by-pass the inverter when it fails the next time. Hopefully it wont as I upgraded to a 2000 watt from the original 1000 watt. The way I found the transfer switch was running the generator and having the wife listen for the clicking as I turned the generator circuit breakers on and off. Once she had located the general area, it was just a matter of opening things in that area.

The way my power system is wired is the shore power and generator enter the transfer switch. The Transfer switch goes to a Square D power panel with a 50 amp breaker back feed to act as the main breaker. This Panel has two 20 amp breakers feeding the front and rear AC units and a 30 amp breaker feeding my Inverter. The inverter then feeds another panel with the interior circuit breakers and the DC fuses for the coach. With this setup the Generator/ Shore Power feeds everything. When the Inverter is providing power there is no way you can accidentally run the AC units off the inverter, everything else is available to run the AC loads off the batteries.
I hope this helps and Good Luck with your troubleshooting..