PDA

View Full Version : Brake controller

03heritagerider
12-23-2010, 04:24 PM
I know that I posted this comment during the summer, but the coach was in storage, so I couldn't check until now.

I have a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller and I had asked if the electric brakes were operated by the tail light connection. Most folks replied that they were independent; however, this is my finding.

The brake controller indicator light turns red when the brakes are applied. When the engine retarder is engaged, it activates the brake lights and it does engage the trailer brakes, as indicated by the controller light.

This made me think that it could be an issue at other times. Apparently, when I turn on the four way flashers, the controller indicator light blinks with it. This tells me the brakes are being engaged every time the lights blink.

So, if you are climbing a steep grade and need to turn on your hazard lights as required, you are also pumping the trailer brakes. This is not only slowing your progress, but wearing the brakes.

Comments???

Jobuha
12-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Sounds like the brake controller wire is hooked up to the lights vice the brake pedal. The controller should be hooked up to the non powered side of the brake pedal, so when you apply the brakes the controller applies the trailer brakes. If it is energizing everytime your turn signal operates you are in for rapid brake wear and possibly a wild ride..... just think everytime you change lanes at speed you are applying brakes. To me this does not sense..... time to have it checked out or rewire it yourself

Just my thoughts..............

Midniteoyl
01-03-2011, 12:45 AM
Agree... make sure its hooked to the brake light switch, not the lights.