PDA

View Full Version : 2008 4200 International idle in cold weather

Billynchrisnpa
02-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Before I call the International dealer, does anyone know if it normal for the engine to build idle up high in the cold? Seems you have to punch it down, but then it builds high idle again when sitting still.

Texas TC
02-05-2011, 05:20 PM
This was discussed here a few weeks back. I will post the conversation below so you can see what everyone was saying about your issue:

agood214
Camp Heper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:44 pm Post subject: Follw-up in cold weather odd behavior ? Reply with quote
We went to Las Vegas over New years and the temperatures were in between hovering in the 27-29 degree range....

On starting the vt-365 I ran into something I had not seen it do before.

The engine started, then slowly begin accelerating towards 2K rpm in speed while sitting in neutral.

I had to hit the accelerator to get it to slow back down.
It would continue to do that at idle until we took off ....

This happened throughout the trip, but has not happened before or since the return - sitting in its space.

there was no indication of an issue and the engine acted fine.

1. It would turn over and start just fine.

2. Coach batteries were new - Date of manufacture of the chassis/batteries was in 2007 and one had gone dead and was replaced prior to trip.

3. Annual service was done prior to trip - I double checked all fluid levels, check and emptied the water trap.

Any ideas why the engine would slowly creep up off of idle like that ?
schmittm
Camp Helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:24 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Mine does the same thing 90% of the time. What I do is use the cruise control to set the engine idle speed. Start the engine, then turn on cruise then push Set, then push Accell a couple of times and the engine RPMs will slowly go up. I usually set RPMs at 900 or 1000 to warm up and to keep engine from accelerating.
Not sure why it does it, might have to do with running the fan at higher speed. I don't think anything is wrong with it. Does this more often when it is cold and maybe it is a way of warming up engine and get water circulating.
CraigH
Camp Helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
I too have experienced the same thing. I agree it appears to be designed that way for warming up the engine. Only does it when it's cold.
Texas TC
Camp Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:56 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Yep, does it most of the time when it is cold or has been sitting for a while. I hit the accelerator and it idles back down. I don't recall it ever idling back up after hitting the accelerator once.
schmittm
Camp Helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Mine will idle back up after about 5 min, that is why I use the cruise control for the idle speed to help warm it up and to maintain a constant RPM.
cd6400
Camp Helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Folks, Don't be alarmed. This is completely normal....when its near freezing temps the engine will idle for a short while until oil pressure is stabilized and has had a chance to circulate in the engine. Then slowly it will idle up to approx. 1500 rpm. It will hold that rpm until the park brake is released or brake pedal is depressed or until engine temp gets up to near normal (160 deg). When in gear the function is disabled so it won't happen while driving. There's a description of this function in the manual. My GMC duramax has the same feature.
Georunner
Senior Camp Helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
When it gets real cold, 10 degrees or colder, the engine will run fast for quite a while. It is exactly whed cd6400 says, it is normal. I have found that the engine will not idle fast for such a long period of time, if I plug the block heater in.

Billynchrisnpa
02-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Before I call the International dealer, does anyone know if it normal for the engine to build idle up high in the cold? Seems you have to punch it down, but then it builds high idle again when sitting still.

Thanks alot for the response. I did see it was normal in the book, just hate having it running in high idle while warming up. It's funny that it did not do that when I was in Florida over the holiday. I will try the cruise control method on Sunday.