PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank status when storing RV

philblumenfeld
03-12-2011, 11:02 AM
What do you guys recommend putting in your gas tank while storing your RV for more than a month? Full, Empty, Supplements, etc?

Texas TC
03-12-2011, 04:20 PM
I don't have an A class but on my C, I always fill both saddle tanks with diesel and diesel additive when I store. I have always felt the more fuel in the tank, the less condensation would develop. Just my theory but it works for me.

Good luck,

TxTC

Luckiest Dreamer
03-13-2011, 10:39 AM
As I understand it, with the ethanoyl additives, the gas breaks down and separates after about a month. Fuel stabilizers are only good for a year or two as well. So, it depends on just how long beyond that month you are talking about. Putting a stabilizer in and making sure it has run completely through the carb is needed to keep the carb injectors from shellacking up. I know that you will get a mixed reaction about diesel and how long you can store it, but being an old boat owner and seeing how that stuff starts grownin things, I am reluctant to store mine totaly full and will always add some type of stabil to the tank when storing for the winter.

Chuck v
03-13-2011, 04:42 PM
My coach is diesel, so the ethanol issues don't directly apply in my case. What I will say is that storing with full tanks will minimize the condensation of moisture inside the tank, so full is much better than empty in that regard. I topped mine off at the end of my fall trips -- turned out it was like buying futures in the oil market as the price per gallon is quite a bit higher now, and a 100 gallon tank is not trivial to fill at any price. :(

Additives such as Stabil will help with the gasoline tanks and increase storage life of gasoline and mixed fuels...

Chuck

RayChez1
03-24-2011, 01:16 AM
One month is not very long for gasoline to go bad, but if you are going to store it for lets say six months, then I suggest putting stabil into the tank.