PDA

View Full Version : Door fell off

RJ82much
06-07-2005, 02:56 PM
I discovered a new tool to never leave home without... Your trusty pop-rivet gun & drill bits.

Last night, I closed my basement compartment (with the water pump), heard a "crack" & the door nearly fell off at the hinges! Some factory pop rivets had broken, & some had stretched ready to break.

This compartment has no travel limiters & therefore opens partially against the protruding furnace compartment cover (not the exhaust). I mention that because possibly there is an unbalanced force on the door hinge with the compartment open.

Regardless, my compartment cover broke off!!!! Wouldn't that be swell if I was tooling down the Interstate? I was able to make a satisfactory, albeit temporary repair by adding MANY additional pop rivets along the hinge line.

Sigh, keep your pop rivet gun handy, keep your square-head screw driver handy, keep your security-torx handy, as well as your flashlight. I can't remember the last time I had to work on my 60,000 mile car (other than the dumb mistake with my brakes).

jernatab
06-09-2005, 10:10 PM
I posted a Gulf Stream safety hazard issue on the RV.net forum & received a phone call from GS within 3 hours of the posting. These forums are very important and effective from improving quality control issues!