PDA

View Full Version : Navisar in trouble

Texas TC
07-05-2012, 11:37 AM
While the rest of the diesel world went calmly into the new emission standard years by adding DEF to their engines to meet EPA requirements, Navistar (International) decided to put all their money and engineering into choking down their engines even more than before by increasing EGR technology. Unfortunately, EPA has not approved Navistar's clean air techniques and is now letting the company use credits they earned from previous years of compliance and paying a penalty of $1000.00 per manufactured engine until approved. (This has brought a lawsuit against the EPA from other engine manufacturers saying they are allowing engines to hit the market that do not meet established standards). Couple that with fact that their EGR technology engines have had extremely high warranty issues and now it is time to pay the piper. There is a big announcement coming Friday from the company. It could be anything from a sale of the company to abandoning EGR and going with the proven and EPA acceptable DEF to bankruptcy. All these things have been mentioned in various articles I have read

As most of you know, I loved my SuperNova but was not to keen on the International engine. Now, the replacements for the VT365 are suspect. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. One thing for sure, DEF is most probably here to stay for a long time.

This is not meant as an attack on the SuperNova, just information about the parent company of the group that built the chassis and engine.

Happy trails,

TxTC

steve.k
07-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Texas it makes you wonder what kind of clowns we have running government in north America?While maybe Navistar is at fault by not opting an different design but is this type of emission control even warranted?We are in the heavy equipment buisness and they are headed the same direction?We recently demo'd a brand new crawler that uses the new ISX series cummins.We worked this dozer against our 2000 model year machine as well as a 1978 model year machine of all the same size and series.The old machine has IHc 817 engine in it and when pushing dirt has a slight haze of black smoke continually out the pipe.After running these machines together a week or so we noticed that the old girl consistantly used 22 gallons less fuel per day and pushed more dirt?So you tell me how a engine using more fuel in the same amount of time and enviroment is a cleaner burning unit?I beleive that this emissions deal is nothing more than a full blown tactic for Gov. to create income.I hope navistar can get through without falling prey to another government scheme!

Gemini John
07-05-2012, 06:32 PM
In my own words, "It's all SMOKE and mirrors" The Euro standard for NoX is .4 ppm/ million verses .2 for North America. Brakes the back of ALL diesel engines. Look at the air quality in Europe and explain the difference to me. I think I need some splainin from the Gubmint boys. They just make laws. they don't know what any of them are about. We are in deep trouble with watchdogs like this.

steve.k
07-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Gemini did you put the airride on your rig?Did you check out those Diablo tuners they look like they work great? :D

Texas TC
07-06-2012, 07:41 AM
Hrer is the bottom line:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-navistar-changing-engines-to-meet-epa-standards-20120706,0,4112016.story

Sent from my iPad

steve.k
07-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Thanks Texas very interesting. Sounds like they switching everything over to the juice! I was checking up on your class a it seems they use the 6.7 cummins similar to dodge trucks? Are you running about 800ft lb tq? I ordered the air ride for mine and I think next season I upgrade to Alcoa rims.

Texas TC
07-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Yep, Cummins ISB 340 hp. I am very pleased with the power and performance of the Cummins/Allison combination.

You are going to really enjoy your coach after you install the air suspension system. The ride all over the coach is vastly improved and you don't loose any of the excellent handling characteristics that are previlant with the SuperNova. Before I sold mine, I completed the suspension upgrade by adding Road King front shocks. The shocks in combination with the air suspension made my coach handle like a SUV.

Good luck with your installation!

TxTC

steve.k
07-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Thanks Texas I'll order the shocks also!I added the Tuner and this was the first trip with it in,it would cruise at 70mph towing that little trailer like no tomorrow.I was definately impressed.We hit some rough roads and the Mrs. commented on how rough the truck was so she figured maybe the airride might be worth it.I orderd the following day.I have been watching abit for a good deal on Renegade Explorer I might see if I can find one of those reasonable.I think they run the same engine as you with the m2 freightliner.

Texas TC
07-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Jayco is now using the Freightliner M2 on both the Embark and now Senaca lines. From what I have seen, that is a good RV platform. I know the Embark has air suspension, I don't think the Senaca does. I am not sure about the Renegade but I would bet it has air. I really wish that Gulf Stream had gone with Freightliner. Their customer service and quality seems to be a step above International. They have Oasis dealers that cater to RV owners. I am a member of the FCOC (Freightliner Chassis Owners Club) and they give us a discount on service. I have attended Camp Freightliner where they go through two full days of information about the chassis, engine, suspension, and transmission. It was a great experience except for information overload. Their RV chassis hot line is available 24/7 and reps are fantastic.

As a side note, I have been a little surprised that Monaco, now owned by parent company Navistar, has not used a 4300 or better yet, a 4400 chassis for their brand. I know they are using the Intrnational engines in Monaco coaches (main reason I chose Winnebago over Monaco) but no truck, Class C coaches to this point.

I do wonder who bought the two 2O1O SuperNovas that were built on the 4400 chassis with the DT 466 engines and air suspension that were manufactured before GS stopped making this brand? That is a more stout chassis/engine combination. I keep watching this board to see if anyonr fesses up to owning one of them but no report to this point.

Have fun and be safe.

TxTC

July
08-13-2014, 02:13 AM
The author wrote:"While the rest of the diesel world went calmly into the new emission standard years by adding DEF to their engines to meet EPA requirements, Navistar (International) decided to put all their money and engineering into choking down their engines even more than before by increasing EGR technology. '

Talking about the jammer, i would like to recommend the car remote blocker (http://www.jammerall.com/categories/Cell-Phone-Jammers/?o=22/) ,this is very useful products,you can go to jammerall.com to have a look at