PDA

View Full Version : Block heater

treecounter
09-27-2006, 09:02 AM
Our 03 friendship has a 120v outlet in the battery compartment with a male end of an extension cord hanging near it. I think it might be for the block heater. Any one have knowledge of this and does it work off the inverter?

TSoul
09-27-2006, 09:12 AM
I do believe it is for the block heater. I do not believe it will be wired to your inverter. It could be I guess but I would think the block heater would draw a lot of amps and kill batteries fast. Our block heater is in the electrical bay and has its own breaker. When I want to use it I plug it in and turn on the breaker. This is after I have the rig plugged into the house. Happy Camping.

GStream40
09-27-2006, 09:19 AM
Our 03 friendship has a 120v outlet in the battery compartment with a male end of an extension cord hanging near it. I think it might be for the block heater. Any one have knowledge of this and does it work off the inverter?

You are correct, it is for the engine block heater. It is a high amperage draw so I don't believe it is powered by the inverter, but I have never checked the outlet with a meter when I had the inverter on.

I know it is powered by generator and the ac power cord when plugged in. I have used mine a few times on the present coach and also on our previous GS diesel.

In temps below 30 degrees, what I have done is plug it in for about an hour before we plan to start the engine. It starts up like it is summertime then and the Kitty Kat just purrs.

Ron

treecounter
09-27-2006, 10:14 AM
Thanks, guys I thought that was it. We will be testing it soon as we live in Bend Or. and my GPS says the house is at 3800 ft. We have already lost some plants to Jack.