PDA

View Full Version : water logged generator

CraigH
08-07-2012, 07:44 PM
I have a 2010 6400 model SuperNova equipped with a PowerTech 8KW diesel generator. The generator is located directly behind the rear wheels on the driver side.

Just drove up from S Fla to Greensboro, NC... for about an hour or so we were in very heavy rain... initially with the generator running. Before too long, not sure exactly when, the generator cutout. Didn't notice it for a while because we were up front and had the cab air on. Well when we decided we needed it to cook dinner and rest for a bit it didn't want to start up. I pulled the dipstick to find milky oil - quite a lot of water in the oil.

Heads up to anyone with this setup... the generator compartment is not shielded so well from the massive amount of water getting thrown up off the road and the air filter comes to the very bottom of the cabinet... so, once the cabinet gets enough water in it the engine begins to suck up water until it drowns out...

I was fortunate in that the first thing I did was pull that dipstick and didn't run try to run it anymore... next day I changed all the filters and fluids (had just done that)... have started and run it and all is well...

So until I have come up with a way to protect that area better from the water there will be no driving in heavy rain or more likely no running the generator while driving in heavy rain. That could pretty quickly have cost me the engine...

Just wanted to share a word of caution...

dsomonster
08-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Craig,
How have you been? Thanks for the heads up!

-Ron in SoCal