PDA

View Full Version : How did you raise you 5"er?

Dean Nix
10-01-2006, 06:36 PM
Well I put my new 16" rims on with Michelin XPS Ribs (245/75R16) and there just is not enough room between the fender skirt to make me feel comfortable. So I have decided that it is time to raise the 5'er 1" to allow for more clearance. It will make it tow more level as well. My frame has another set of shackle (I guess that is the name) holes 1" closer to the ground. If I put the leaf springs and the yoke in the middle into this lower set I should get about 1" more of height and clearance. In the past I have asked Gulf Stream if that would be OK to do when I needed it for rear stabilizer clearance. They said it would be fine and that is what the other set of holes were there for.

So:
Where did you lift?
Did you do one side then the other? Or front then back?

Please be specific.

GStream40
10-07-2006, 06:39 AM
Dean,

I have never done this, but I have a friend that used to own a trailer sales/service so I asked him how they did it since I know they had changed springs and lifted 5er's suspension.

Here is what he advised that they did. First off you must have access or own some very powerful floor jacks, minimun of 2 but 4 perferred. He says you must raise all the 5er until weight has been removed from the suspension, they do this by placing the floor jacks under the frame. They keep the truck hooked to the 5er for safety to keep it from moving front to back. They lift the whole 5er at one time so there is no pressure on the suspension whatsoever since with the middle pivot any pressure on the front or back it will be on the pivot.

After making sure that the trailer is secure, they remove the bolt for each point one at a time and move that point down and reinstall the bolt. He says you probably will have to use a pry bar to move it down and hold in place to reinstall the bolt. Do this with all six points and you are done and just lower the trailer.

He says the hardest part is lifting the trailer, but of course they had impacts and four 12 ton floor jacks ( I believe that is the size).

That is what one pro used to do. Sounds easy doesn't it? Like I said, the hardest part is getting the trailer lifted and supported to get the sprung weight off the suspension. It takes some very powerful jacks, that is why I believe most people take them to a service center that has the equipment to handle this.

Good Luck,
Ron

Dean Nix
10-09-2006, 07:08 AM
LOL .... it DOES sound easy doesn't! Well I did it Yesterday. A buddy who owns my same 31FRBH floor plan came over to help. It absolutely required four hands. We used (2) 20 ton bottle jacks and (1) 2 ton bottle jack and blocks and cement pavers for height.

The first side went OK except for one bolt and nut casualty that I will need to replace this week. However the second side beat us silly. I think the problem was that we did in my yard where I park and it is not very level so on the high side (2nd side) we could get the spring at the right height but it would be an inch or two toward the axle. if we got it to the jake plate it was the at the wrong height. We pried every location but you just can not muscle one 2" whole inches.

We finally got all six locations done and it would appear that it gave the clearance I needed. A road test will say for sure.

If I ever do this again I would like it to be:
1) on very level ground
2) on pavement
3) 5 jacks would have been nice because the one side's tires on the ground does affect the other side's axle position when they are off the ground
4) no rain

GStream40
10-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Dean,

That made me tired just reading of the fight with the one side. :)

You got r done and learned in the process and now you can relax with the thought you now have the clearance you need.

Ron

trafficmaker
10-31-2006, 02:15 PM
Ummmm, being the 'buddy', I have to say the list is skewed! Number 4 should be number 1, but since Dean was underneath the 5vr all warm and dry and I was standing/sitting in the monsoon........

Having done it now, I wouldn't hesitate to do mine if the need ever arises.

tm

Dean Nix
11-09-2006, 11:26 PM
Laterally .... LOL ...TM is right from his perspective I guess number 4 should be number 1 ....thanks "buddy" :lol: