PDA

View Full Version : Blue Ridge Parkway

coolchas11
10-10-2006, 11:04 AM
How is driving on the BRP in October? Is the Sun Voyager ok with the bridges? I read three of the clearances are low. Do you drive in the middle? We're thinking of going to Bassett, VA and then NC, GA and into FL. Thanks.

RJ82much
10-10-2006, 11:52 AM
I'd be interested in the answer as well. Thinking of heading that way in a couple weeks. Was going to take the Shenandoah Valley route though.

Not sure of the destination. We've stayed in Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and a couple of the West Virginia state parks (awesome). I'm in the process of planning an outing in that area.

earljan34
10-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Hey guys check out this web site nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/tunnel-heights. Have been through the parkway lots of times no problems.

Good Luck Earl

GStream40
10-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Blue Ridge Parkway Tunnel Heights

http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/tunnel-heights.htm

coolchas11
10-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Earl, for the three low clearance tunnels/bridges, do you drive more towards the center of the road? Thanks.

earljan34
10-13-2006, 08:02 AM
Chas, I do with any bridge under 13' on the sides! Some times you can't but you can on the park way just be careful as it is a two lane road and very blind in spots. The parkway is beautful. if you like to drive on two lane roads start in VA and drive the skyline drive it starts in Front Royal and runs into the parkway about the intersection of I-64, real nice trip in the fall the colors. Good luck and have a good trip. There are a lot of campgrounds in that area both in VA & NC. :D :D :D

Earl