PDA

View Full Version : Electric brake controller for tow dolly

sfo6jxd
06-16-2005, 04:54 PM
I have hooked up several of these in pickups and am a 20+ year mechanic. I say this so someone doesn't think I am getting into to much. I would like to know where, or if, there is a plug under the dash to hook up the brake control box? I am sure that there would be, but cannot locate it. any help or advice is appreciated. jim

gsadmin
06-16-2005, 05:54 PM
It depends on the vehicle. Most Brake controllers have a connector kit for the major late model manufacturers where it will just plug right in. This is only the case most times if you purchased the "tow package" when you bought the truck. If this is the case, the install is usually as simple as connecting the unit and (in some cases) adding a fuse in your fuse box for the brake control.

If your truck is older, you will have to wire everything up from scratch and its not a huge deal but its not fun either.

sfo6jxd
06-16-2005, 06:04 PM
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I am installing unit on a 2004 Gulfstream Sunvoyager 38'

gsadmin
06-17-2005, 10:55 AM
Don't have any experience with that coach, but my 2004 Ultra has only a flat 4-pronger so in my coach I bet in mine i would have to run the brake contol wire myself and change the trailer connector to a 6er. From a a "secret doc" I may or may not have ;) on the 2004 workhorse it looks to confirm my speculation that you will be running that brake lead yourself.

Jim Ott
08-03-2006, 04:56 AM
Had the same problem. after several E-mails to the Gulf Stream service people, got a PDF doc. with all the needed Info. you can go to
www.gmupfitter.com (http://www.gmupfitter.com) and find all the info you will ever need. plus some info you will NEVER need.