PDA

View Full Version : Dewald Hyd. fluid change

melmapop
11-05-2013, 07:46 AM
Reading the Dewald Hydraulic system manuals the hydraulic fluid should be changed every two years. You DIYers, I would like to know how you get the fluid out of the reservior? I have not been able to find a drain plug. I have a 40ft Yellowstone Country Club, and the system is half way down the drivers side of the coach. Thanks for the help.
Steve

Arthur Hayes
11-05-2013, 11:04 AM
You need an evacuation pump, some are powered with a hand drill and some are manual. Check with your local NAPA store or Tractor Supply.

melmapop
11-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Thank you art. Have you always changes your fluid?
Steve

Arthur Hayes
11-07-2013, 08:18 AM
Never

GStream40
11-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Steve,
Sounds like we have the MH, our reservoir is also half way down the coach in the compartment right in front of the water tank.
I have to admit that I have never changed the oil the Dewald unit. :oops:

Ron

melmapop
11-08-2013, 06:54 PM
You might want to check the status of your fluid. I had a seal blow on my way back from Fl. Last spring. I had to pull off of the road because the control panel was going crazy. Lights flashing and alarms going off. Once stopped I had to un plug the pump to stop it from pumping hydr. Fluid all over the bay. The plug is directly above the pump behind the heat duct. Once I arrived home I tried to find a seal kit on line from Dewald. No luck, must go throu a retail firm. I got a local RV place to replace the seal in my pump. They told me that they put power steering fluid in the resouivor, and the manual states not to mix hydro. Fluid and power steering fluid. So I bought a quarter of hydro fluid to check the what it looks like. Then I drew some fluid from my reservoir. Whow, what a difference. The fluid in my reservoir was creamy, like it had water induced. So I tried to change it with fresh Hydro fluid using a small battery water bulb to get the old fluid out. Two hours later it was empty. That is way I asked how to drain the reservoir. The book states to change the fluid every two years. I will change mine every two years. Do not want to be stuck without slides and jacks either up or down. Thanks again Art, I now have a small hand pump to drain my reservoir.

Camperman
01-28-2014, 07:06 PM
I attempted to change mine last year however couldn't find a drain plug. Contacted DeWald and they advised there is no drain plug. You need to pump it out somehow. I had a devil of a time finding hydraulic fluid as most RV places use some replacement product which shouldn't be mixed with hydraulic fluid. I finally found the proper fluid at Walmart, believe it of not. Reasonably priced also although I cannot remember the price now. I check fluid every month and only had to top it up once in last year.
My fluid is pretty clean so I've been just keeping an eye on it and at some point I'll replace it, probably.

melmapop
01-29-2014, 05:18 PM
I got my fluid from NAPA. They also made hydraulic line to specific lengths.

Dennis4809
01-31-2014, 06:20 PM
Seems like draining and refilling the reservoir is a lot different than "changing the fluid". Would be like changing your engine coolant by draining and refilling the expansion tank. There is a lot of fluid in the lines, rams and pumps that wouldn't be touched. A total change would involve a huge amount of work. Unless it's been contaminated with water or the wrong fluid, doesn't seem worth the effort.