PDA

View Full Version : Brake Life

JIMNINA
12-01-2013, 02:39 PM
We have a 2003 38' Yellowstone with about 45000 miles on her. We are wondering about brake life on the coach?
The person we purchased the coach form used the jake brake quite a bit and said he never had a brake problem.
Are there any sensors, like on a regular vehicle. I did have a blow out over the summer and checked one of the rear brakes and they looked like they still had quite a bit of pad left.
Where does one take an BIG coach for brakes, Freightliner, CAT, Diesel Shop, Big Truck shop?
Thanks

melmapop
12-04-2013, 08:19 PM
I have attended several FMCA Freightliner training sessions and they say that the air brakes should last well over 100k miles and if you use the engine brake or jake brake they should last even longer. I do not know if they deteriate over time but they should not wear out until well over 100k. I'll be watching to see if someone else has a better response.
Steve

RayChez1
12-05-2013, 04:39 PM
melmapop is correct. Those brake shoes are pretty thick and like he said if you use the pac brake going down those long grades your brake shoes will last a very long time before you need to replace them.

JIMNINA
12-05-2013, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the reply's to the brake question.
This our first DP and so far it is much different than the gasser.

RayChez1
12-05-2013, 06:37 PM
If you did need to change brake shoes, I would take it to a truck stop where they do that kind of work all the time on big rigs. Or even better if you are close to a Freightliner shop they are experts on their chassis.