PDA

View Full Version : New owner of a 1985 GS Sun Coast (first camper ever!)

Fonzee78
05-02-2014, 05:30 AM
Hi All,

I just did some trading for this hog earlier in the year so I figured I would join this forum! I have never camped before in my life, but I have 2 young kids and I think they will really enjoy it. I just tuned up the 454 and now she purrs like a kitten, but I have an exhaust leak that is going to be fixed once the ground dries up a little. The previous owner of this gem bought it with a roof leak and proceeded to strip out the bad area and fix it up. He then went to the roof with the EPDM and resealed it. I have a very minimal investment in this rig so I am not expecting a lot, but I am hoping for at least a little enjoyment out of it. Being this is a pretty old unit I am not sure if there are any other owners of a "diamond in the rough" such as this, but as I do some searching around the site I am sure that I will find some other lucky owners. I have a lot to learn and a few upgrades to do to the pig on wheels before I get my wife (anti-camping fun hater) and the kids out for our first trek, but if all goes well I hope to drive this road missile from NW Illinois to Yellowstone NP. I will post updates as they become available.

To do list:
Engine tune up - complete
Exhaust upgrade - 2 weeks out
Paint exterior - May 9-11, 2014
Reseal windows - May 11, 2014
External Beer tapper - Mid-Summer:)
First road trip to a local state park - June....ish

RayChez1
05-26-2014, 07:10 PM
Hey! That is a nice looking classic. It seems like who ever had it before took good care of it. I am sure that if the engine and tranny are in good working condition you and your family will have a great time on it. Congratulations on your first motorhome and welcome to the forum.

I used to have a pickup with the 454 Chevy engine. That is one powerful engine. Not very good on gasoline, I believe I got 9 miles per gallon whether it was pulling my boat and a overhead camper or if it was empty. But I do like that engine.
Good luck and maybe we will see you down the road.