PDA

View Full Version : Sun Voyager Electric Step

jjrowan
05-07-2014, 07:28 AM
We've had our 1998 GS Sun Voyager for a month now. I've done some minor fixes on the blocked water tank filters, missing rivets on outside compartments. I have a leaking seal in the rear end (diesel pusher) and was taking it to be serviced this morning. Turned on chassis and coach power switches, closed then opened screen door which has always extended the electric step but NOTHING this morning. Can hear clicking of magnetic switch on right side of screen door and sounds like step motor clicks but won't extend. Tried door several times, no dice. Turned off coach / chassis power, then turned back on tried door, NOTHING. Verified switches above coach / chassis were on. Mechanic doing rear end seal work said motor might need to be tapped with hammer. He use to own an RV (sold it and bought travel trailer) and said his electric step had same problem, when he tapped it with a hammer it never had a problem again.

Suggestions?

Beaufort NC
05-07-2014, 10:44 PM
Same thing on my Crescendo a couple of years back. Wound up replacing the complete assembly.

retusn
05-10-2014, 09:21 AM
I have a 98 SunVoyager 36' SVB. When I bought it the step did not retract. My solution was to to the motor off, take it inside on my bench and slowly take it apart. It was just stuck. I clean and greased all the gears, put it back on. It worked. It has now worked for a year. I believe lack of lubrication was the problem.

Bob

jjrowan
05-10-2014, 10:15 AM
Thanks Bob.
My mechanic was working on the rear end seals, he tapped the step motor with a hammer and it is working again.
I'm replacing 4 standoff nuts, will take a look at motor lubrication later.