PDA

View Full Version : Generator breaker tripping

jjrowan
05-12-2014, 05:38 PM
My 98 Sun Voyager's generator had been working, microwave, TV, lights, refrigerator, all good. Last week fired up generator but no juice to anything. Reset breaker and all was well. Now the breaker trips as soon as I start the generator. I'm 10 days away from first major trip and don't know how to troubleshoot it.

jjrowan
05-13-2014, 01:59 PM
I unplugged the TV, DVD player, cable / aux switching device, unscrewed four 110 volt light bulbs, reset the generator and powered it up. After roughly 30 seconds the microwave display light up indicating the breaker had not tripped. I screwed in light bulbs to find I had left two turned on. I guess the microwave trying to power up while lights are on caused the breaker on the generator to trip. It's working now.

Beaufort NC
05-16-2014, 07:19 AM
Glad you found it. Electrical problems can obviously be a real nightmare! Good problem solving!

jjrowan
05-16-2014, 07:27 AM
I thought I found it. Tried to use generator again yesterday but could not get power from it. Tried same steps to resolve but no luck this time. Generac dealer 1/2 mile from here said it sounds like brushes have gone away. I gave him model and serial numbers, he's suppose to be researching. It stinks because trip is next Thursday.