PDA

View Full Version : Taking out of long-term storage

razordog
04-19-2015, 10:53 PM
I have a 2000 GS Sun Voyager that has been in storage for 5 years.

I know it was very neglectful of me to ignore it for so long :oops: but I had some health problems arise.

So I ask that you please be gentle with me...... :D

Prior to putting it in storage I did winterize it and prepare it for long term storage. It has also been parked in a sheltered stall the entire time.

I have driven it about once a year but that is it and I recently plugged it in to charge the batteries.

My question is this: Is there anything special I should do or look for prior to starting the vehicle?

RayChez1
04-20-2015, 12:59 AM
Tires if not exercised will have to be changed out. Gasoline in the tank if you did not add stabil to it, gasoline goes bad and starts to turn into a gel on either the carburator or in the fuel injection system. Batteries are only good for a few years, so you might have to buy batteries.

razordog
04-20-2015, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Should I even try to start the engine - or have the tank drained and fresh fuel put in?

RayChez1
04-20-2015, 04:53 PM
I would try to start it, and if it starts, you might have lucked out. But it has been sitting around for a long time.

You might have to use some starting fluid to help start it. But if it does not have much fuel in the tank I think I would dump it out and put in fresh fuel. Even then you might have some plugged up jets.