PDA

View Full Version : Rusting out storage bays

atberger1
08-19-2015, 05:53 AM
Has anyone had a problem with their under storage bays rusting out? I have three where the floors have given way, These are cabinets where I typically stored heavier items. I went under the RV last weekend and coated all the other bays with POR15 so hopefully I will stop the rusting of the other cabinets. But now I need to find someone to do some welding for me.

I wish I would have addressed this sooner. I highly recommend the POR15. Bought it on Amazon at $45 per qt. Definitely buy the solvent as it is really difficult to get off your skin, You all may want to crawl under the coach and address any rusting going on as Gulfstream did not seem to rust proof the storage bays too well.
'
Tom

LabCab
08-19-2015, 07:29 PM
Haven't had many problem with them rusting out. However, I had a problem with 1 or 2 getting wet because the doors were not sealing completely.
Have you figured out how the moisture is getting in? You may be able to take the carpet out of the bays, use Fiberglass to redo the bottoms going up the walls a bit to make a new floor. Gulf Stream has the carpet. Just spray glue it in place.

Most importantly is why is there water getting in there. Our's has rubber rust coat on the out side of the bins under the rig.
It seems pretty tight. Good Luck.

atberger1
08-22-2015, 05:39 AM
It appears to me that the rust and rot started from the underside. None of the bays ever got water in them. Excellent idea about the fiberglass. I have someone coming to look at them to see what work would be involved in welding in new floors. I will post how I make out.