PDA

View Full Version : Brake screeching

chamberlain
01-25-2007, 10:42 AM
I've developed a brake screeching problem on my coach and would like to know if there's a good way to re-burnish the brakes again to stop the noise. I really don't want to have Freightliner work on them just yet as I only have 5k miles on the coach.

Symtom: After a long trip when touching them lightly while driving around at slow speeds they make the noise.

Ideas would be greatly appreciated

John

coolchas11
01-25-2007, 05:55 PM
In the Freightliner chassis manual there is a section on burnishing the brakes. Freightliner told me to follow the steps as the squeeking is a common problem. Charlie

chamberlain
01-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Charlie

Thanks for the info. Have you attempted to do this....did it work. I noticed in your profile you have an 07 so I'd hope you didn't develope the noise so soon. My Freightliner tech said he'd have to rough up the brakes and then re-burnish them to get rid of the noise and wanted $300.

John

djqualls
01-31-2007, 05:26 PM
I've had to burnish mine. Its common and to me is an indicator that you are applying the brakes too hard. Use exhaust brake and keep your distance and use gears on hills and it won't be a common problem.

I realize that sometimes you must shut the coach down quickly and that just a part of it. You will smell the hot shoes and it is usually an indicator for me that the squeak is going to come back after cool down.

Dave.........

trickto322
02-01-2007, 11:50 PM
My brakes also squeak but it only does it when I am going about 10 mph. It did it on the test drive, the shark said it was the new brakes. Never had something this big so we thought the shark was telling the truth, how dumb is that? :oops:
We stopped at a Freightliner shop at a truck stop for this issue and they said they would repair the brakes for $16.00 a wheel until they saw it was a motorhome, they would not work on it. I can see if you have a motorhome its $300. :(

djqualls
02-03-2007, 02:16 PM
My brakes also squeak but it only does it when I am going about 10 mph. :(

That is really the only condition you hear the squeal... In town braking at intersections and turning etc.... usually squeaks the loudest when on lookers are looking at amazement at what a beautiful coach it is....

Makes me want to pull the blinds when it happens to me........ :roll: