PDA

View Full Version : Where is the fresh water tank drain plug???

marcarolle
05-26-2017, 08:35 AM
Good day,

Last night I wanted to empty the fresh water tank of our "New to us" 2008 Gulf Breeze 26RKS. The only one I saw was located behind the wheels - curb side - almost near the centre of the trailer! I had to crawl under the trailer to remove the screw-on cap. Then crawl back (on wet, dirty pavement) to put the cap back on.

I purchased the trailer from a non-Gulf Stream dealership. Of course, no owner manual was in the camper. (That will be subject of another topic/question, in the general questions forum).

Is there any other drain for the fresh water tank?

Thanks for your help.

Marc

atreis
05-30-2017, 05:29 AM
I don't know if RVs are different - trailers only ever have one, located right next to the tank (wherever that is). One typically only uses it once a year so putting it in a convenient location isn't a high priority.

There are usually low point drains located somewhere slightly more convenient, but they're not meant for draining the tank (although they do nearly as good a job of it).

marcarolle
05-30-2017, 09:01 AM
Thanks Atreis,

We camp most of the time with power and city water provided. However, once in a while, we go to a provincial (equivalent of State Park) and I have to fill up the fresh water tank. But I don't want to carry that tank of water throughout the summer.

I'm considering installing additional pipes to the outlet, and make it come closer to the side of the trailer. I will scan some web sites for mod pictures and instructions.

AmeriLite21
05-30-2017, 01:18 PM
On our AmeriLite 21 MB the water tank drain valve is mounted on the :roll: water tank. Very inconvenient any time the tank needs to be emptied. :idea: I attached a short length of water hose to the drain outlet and ran it to the outside edge of the trailer, where I mounted a standard hose bib :wink: . To drain the tank I just open the valve from the side of the trailer :D .

marcarolle
05-30-2017, 02:43 PM
That sounds like a good plan, Amerilite21.

If you don't mind, I'll ask you a few more questions:

To do that, I assume that:
1. you removed the cap from the drain
2. used a length of rubber hose? Did you use a plastic elbow to prevent the hose to kink?
3. did you attach in some way the hose to the bottom/frame of the trailer?
4. hose bib: metal?

Thanks for your input, it is very appreciated.

Marc

AmeriLite21
06-18-2017, 10:35 PM
The valve on the tank had a short length of clear plastic hose attached that dropped through a hole in the floor to drain the tank. I attached an plastic elbow with a hose connect to the hose just under the floor. I glued a short length of 1/2 inch plastic pipe ( about 2 feet long to reach the outside bottom edge of the trailer) to the elbow. I attached a plastic hose bib to the end of the plastic pipe. I secured the pipe to the bottom of the trim along the bottom of the trailer with a pipe clamp. I keep the valve on the water tank open. To drain the tank I just open the hose bib on the outer edge of the trailer. I hope that explains it. Sorry it took so long to respond.

marcarolle
07-18-2017, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the info, Amerilite. Very clear and useful!

Marc