PDA

View Full Version : Crescendo - No House DC Power After Battery Replacement

NavyFred
07-28-2018, 10:36 AM
Hi I’m new to the Gulf Stream group. I’ve got a coach DC problem. The coach is a 2008 Crescendo 40UL and I replaced my house batteries (4) yesterday because they were not fully charging. After inspection of the cell water levels I found that they were so low I could not see the water and the plates had excessive corrosion on them and NAPA tested the load performance as weak so figured since they were 3 years old anyway I’d replace them.

I turned off the coach BATTERY DISCONNECT SWITCH near the entrance, labeled all my battery cables, and took photos. I replaced the batteries and attempted to reconnect the coach BATTERY DISCONNECT SWITCH but, nothing. I have shore power on and its keeping the batteries charged. But, I haven’t got air conditioners, refrigerator, DC lighting etc. The coach batteries are running the inverter and my Xantrex panel shows “Batt Full”. I have 14 + volts on both side of my battery fuse so I’m pretty confident it’s not blown. Also shows good charging voltage. Although I guess I could pull the battery fuse out to do a continuity check. I have checked through what manuals I have (chassis and GS) but nothing on USE of the BATTERY DISCONNECT SWITCH or wiring diagrams. I’m starting to second guess my cable labeling as I put tape on the terminal lugs not the cables (I had to remove the tape to install cables on batteries) and I’d really like to see a battery wiring diagram or maybe someone with the same coach could send a photo of their battery cables.

I pulled out the coach BATTERY DISCONNECT SWITCH and found no voltage. I also found the coach BATTERY DISCONNECT SWITCH solenoid and found there is no power on either side. I followed the cable upstream to another solenoid (red arrow in photo) and it was 14 volts on the forward side but nothing on the downstream side. I would really like to know what solenoid that is as it’s not labeled.

Why can I not reconnect my house batteries?

Thanks in advance for your help!

NavyFred
07-29-2018, 06:45 AM
Found I put a positive cable on a negative terminal. That fixed it.

I wish I had labeled my cables better but it was the photos that helped me recognize I had three cables on a terminal that was supposed to have only two. I will post a better picture and maybe a diagram of my battery cables for others to use.