PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the hot water tanks anode rod

06-25-2007, 05:24 PM
Are the consequences for replacing the hot water tanks anode rod great? I would like to remove the anode rod and put in a drain valve.
I did this in my old trailer (it did not have an anode rod) which made it easy to drain the hot water tank.

Timothy
06-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Are the consequences for replacing the hot water tanks anode rod great? I would like to remove the anode rod and put in a drain valve.
I did this in my old trailer (it did not have an anode rod) which made it easy to drain the hot water tank.

If you have a Suburban heater you should use the anode rod. The rod in the link also has a drain built in so you don't have to remove it. :)

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=28796&src=SRQB

06-27-2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks that is just what I need.

GStream40
06-27-2007, 02:21 PM
There are a couple of things that must still be done to prolong the life of your HW tank.

The anode rod should be replaced annually or when consumption of the anode rod reaches 75 percent. If overlooked it can lead to premature tank failure. Of course the only way to inspect the anode rod is to remove it.

Also, just using the small drain valve will not drain out the residue that builts up in the tank from lime, iron and sulfates in the water. The only way to flush these out is with the anode rod/plug removed.

Ron

Jim forgrave
07-30-2007, 08:23 PM
I think the anode rod should always be in the hot water tank when in use. It actually prolongs the life of the tank by keeping it clean from the minerals that cake on the walls. When it's in our storage lot between camps I always take out the rod and let the tank flush itself. If I were full timing I'd change the rod whenever it got to be pencil size. Just my $.02