Thread: tow package
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
rdlamb

Default Re: tow package

Hi Rasputin:
I towed a 2004 Jeep Rubicon x many thousands of miles. Here is what I know for sure, and what I recommend.
If your Jeep has a transfer case, and you can shift it into neutral, you can flat tow it. My Rubicon was flat towed. I recommend flat towing as the easiest way to just connect and go. Any type of trailer, either front wheels up or all 4 on a flat bed, is a lot more work.
Wiring is either easy or complex. What type of outlet is on the GS? I.E. 4, 5, 6 or 7 wire? That will greatly help with any recommendation on how to tow the Jeep.
Your Grand Cherokee is heavy. My Rubicon was almost 5,000 lbs. You need an auxiliary brake system. Do not try towing without one, as you'll be in violation of all 50 states laws, and Canada. I'd wager your insurance company would try to get out of any claim as well. I installed a permanent system, which worked incredibly well, but the portable systems are good as well.
Check out etrailer.com for ideas.
My system was from Blue Ox. Worked well. Roadmaster was my other consideration.
Oh, and make sure you have a break-away switch, as that is required in all states as well.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote