Thread: tow package
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 09:55 PM   #10
Camperman

Default Re: tow package

Rick, I am quite late in replying to your post but perhaps my reply might assist others. I have a Gulf Stream Sun Voyageur and tow a Nissan Versa, manual shift, 4 down. The car is quite light and easily towed. My tow bars and other equipment is Blue Ox as is the Patriot auxiliary brake for inside the car. In past 12 months I have towed the Nissan over 15,000 miles without incident, with the exception that I towed several days for longer periods and because the Patriot ran off the Cig lighter in the car the battery was flat when I disengaged. I should have run the car probably after gassing up somewhere along the road. I plan to rectify that by running a wire from my coach battery to the car so the car battery will not be effected in future. The Patriot does a great job of stopping the car especially in high traffic or mountainous terrain. It survived the Rockies.
I would strongly suggest that anyone buying any towing system or braking system study the manual first. I bought my total system from Camping Connections in Kissimmee, FL on Ebay and installed the tow base plate on my car with assistance of a mechanic. It took us 8 hours but was worth the effort to get it done right.
My better half can unhook the car in less than 5 minutes and we hook it up again in less than 10 minutes including engaging the arms on the bar, setting up the Patriot and testing lights. This works well for those few times and tight places when you need to get fuel and have to take the car off to do so.
I highly recommend the Nissan, Manual shift, because all you have to do is slip it into neutral, turn the key, make sure the emergency brake is off and nothing running such as fans or radios.
Happy trails.
Mark
Camperman is offline   Reply With Quote