View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 11:13 PM   #12
Chuck v

Zippy,

Sorry to hear that you too are having issues with the residential refrigerator in your coach. What year and model is your Gulf Stream? On my 2007 Tour Master, the rear emergency exit window is more like a foot smaller in the height dimension than the needed size to clear the 32+ inch box of the refrigerator when on its side. Plus, the rear window is two doorways removed from the installed location of the fridge and each of these is also well under 32 inches - being the same 25 inches wide as the front entry door itself.

I would like to hear more about how you tested your control card (and how you accessed it...) and a bit more about replacing the defrost thermostat -- each of these parts would normally be under suspicion if the freezer was icing up and letting its temperature rise above the control point...but your concern that there is a loss of refrigerant via a coolant leak would point the other way to a lack of any cooling.

Have you removed the internal covers from the cooling fins to see how badly the unit might be icing up? On my fridge, the work to do this is a bit hindered by the narrow cabinet in that area and the depth of the compartment...you really can't get both hands to the back wall at the same time if your shoulders are of normal width. I have acquired extra long extensions for my screwdrivers and nut drivers to help with this.

Yes the quality of the appliances in this coach is limited by what is available commercially, so my 11 year old refrigerator has needed some repair and maintenance by now. At the beginning of this thread another coach owner is making an even stronger case that the Norcold units at $3000+ and very poor performance are even less of a complete answer to an appropriate food storage appliance. They do however, fit through the door...

In my various homes over the years I have replaced a number of refrigerators at an age of much less than 11 years, some for improved features and others from performance loss. These range from simple units to full featured dutch door contemporary units to built in Pro units that are very high end...none of these designs or manufacturers are fault free if you read the reviews. The most common remedy for a balky refrigerator is replacement if the repair is too extensive/costly but that is less of an option in the case of a coach such as the one I have until the alternative of removal/replacement is the only choice.

Let us know if you have tried all the 'normal' service tricks with your coach refrigerator -- maybe there is something that has worked for me that you have yet to come across...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote