View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
CaptRon

Default Re: Hitch Height on Visa 19

Hitch height is not the important measurement. What's important is how the trailer sits when coupled to the TV or more importantly how does it tow? Slightly bow down is better than any amount of bow up but you should try for level.

My Toyota Van required a 2inch step up tow bar (raised the deck where the ball sits 2") after I installed air bags in the rear springs. My Trailblazer required a 5.5" drop tow bar without the WDH and no air bags but could have used a 4" drop bar since the trailer was noticeably bow down. My current set up with an E2 WDH is a 1.5" drop tow bar and the TV front fender well height measures exactly the same coupled as it does unhitched and the trailer looks quite level although a spirit level shows it to be very slightly bow down. This is after I installed a 3 inch lift kit under the trailer.

I guess the answer is ... it depends. It depends on how much the weight of stuff inside the TV plus the tongue weight sinks the rear of the TV or raises the front of the TV. I would go by how it tows. By the way it helps to have friends that will let you borrow various tow bars to try during your experiments.

I would bet that the Jeep will benefit from a WDH and/or a sway bar of some type. Some WDH systems (like the E2) also serve to mitigate sway.
CaptRon is offline   Reply With Quote