View Single Post
Old 10-19-2017, 11:50 PM   #5
johntaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
Well ,all I see looking from the bottom is the flap around the radiator and then foam fills everything in the corner and starts down the wall.
WOW you removed the rear cap? howd that go?
It is pretty easy to remove the rear cap. However, the foam made it impossible to take apart without breaking stuff. A rubber skirt is sandwiched by a metal plate to something above the radiator and riveted and bolted in place from the other side. The other side seems to be an awful crawl across the engine and under the bed in a space that measures a few inches. I declined that approach and instead just cut the skirt (see below). Why it is so important to attach the skirt above half of the radiator in a way that cannot be removed escapes my understanding. The radiator expansion tank is to the right and allows plenty of air to move in the direction that the skirt seems determined to prevent.

There is a shelf that was screwed to the rear wall and was pulled out because, until you yank the back cap away from the coach, you don't even know it is there or how it is attached. Even if you knew the screws were there you cannot get to 2 of them. The shelf and the skirt must be attached first, and then the cap is attached, and then the foam is squirted along where I marked in red below and continuing on the other side of that vertical barrier. That vertical barrier prevents you from getting to anything in the area marked in red, except by going from the bottom up. That area is very narrow, so there's no chance of doing anything meaningful up there to detach stuff properly.

The last photo shows the underside of the shelf that is visible when the cap is in place by sticking your head inside the grill and looking up. The red shows where the foam glued it to the rear cap. I plan on leaving it glued to the rear cap and screwing the angle iron, that will be reattached to the shelf, to the back wall once the cap is back in place. I will not be able to put screws into the far right side on the other side of the vertical barrier.

I need to vent a bit here. What jerks designed this? Seriously, what is wrong with putting some flexible gasket along the shelf back cap intersection, instead of gluing the shelf to the cap with foam? What idiot thought of screwing the shelf and rubber skirt into the back wall, then covering the screws with mountains of foam? What is the purpose of the imbecile sandwich that mates the skirt to the top half of the radiator? I have difficulty believing that anyone with half an ounce of design skills could not have come up with something just as cheap to build but was removable. I am left wondering if they are that stupid or if there is some heat issue.

Maybe when I reassemble I will put insulation below the shelf, where I have removed inches of foam, and then run the new skirt up and horizontally below the shelf with the insulation above it.
johntaves is offline   Reply With Quote