View Single Post
Old 08-05-2018, 11:06 AM   #14
Chuck v

Zippy the pinhead,

While the refrigerator in my coach will not fit through the door, I have to correct you on the dimensions you quoted.

The door to my coach is 25 inches wide (and accommodated a change in the washer when we first bought this motor home and the wife wanted one with more features -- we did not change out the separate dryer...) A front load washer weighs nearly as much as some refrigerators since they contain intentional weighting (usually concrete or similar) in the base to reduce vibration related issues...) It was interesting to dance around these appliances on their journey from the very back of the coach to the front door -- and the reverse direction for the new unit -- but entirely possible for even the two of us in our 70's.

The refrigerator however is another matter -- it is 23 cubic foot capacity (not 23 inches wide as you stated) and its external dimensions are 32.75 inches wide by 33.5 inches deep and 69.25 inches high. Clearly this does not fit out the door and is no surprise to anyone in the industry familiar with how these coaches are manufactured. A motor home is a highway vehicle, and the doors must conform to all the rules for such use.

I have been able to make the needed minor module exchanges/repairs on this existing refrigerator myself...and even if I ultimately have to replace the unit through the windshield or a side window at a few thousand dollars expense for labor it is quite acceptable to remain living in a very comfortable high end coach that is fully paid for.

Your counter-culture derived user name might indicate some hostility to the 'mainstream' business of designing and manufacturing commercially available vehicles -- or maybe it is just a humorous choice with no significance. In any event my career of many decades in engineering has shown that most decisions are carefully made regarding the return on investment for any design choice.

You are of course free to denigrate all GE engineering (and I cannot support many GE management decisions or strategies) but at least get the underlying facts correct as to simple dimensions, etc.

Chuck (...yes a fully transparent user name...)

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote