View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
RayChez1

Default Re: Battery Maintenance for RV Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454
Inverter is to change 12 VDC to be 110 VAC. Converter is to change 110 VAC to 12 VDC. Two completely separate functions. Your battery charger is a converter. Plugging into the 110 VAC wall outlet should keep your batteries charged up and in good condition, assuming the charger is on. Inverter will drain the batteries, whereas the converter (aka charger) will replenish the batteries.
The TourMaster has an inverter/charger combination. When you put it on storage and plugged in to shore power the charger in the inverter will maintain the house batteries. Will keep them charged up and when they are charged, the charger will just float so that it will not over charge. I always keep the inverter turned off inside the coach, unless I am dry camping and I want to watch tv or warm up a cup of coffee on the microwave oven. But on a TourMaster there is a regular charger to charge those batteries.

Now on my Scenic Cruiser the chassis batteries are only charged by the alternator on the Caterpillar engine. And I believe the TourMaster is the same as the Scenic Cruiser.

Now on gasoline motorhomes which do not have inverters. The batteries when plugged into shore power are charged by a converter.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote